¡1ª Review Online de Chinese Democracy! Rolling Stone says....

+9
wakam
KIM_BACALAO
Johnny Kashmir
Le Bichô
DarthMercury
Godofredo
Boohan
borope
Kyuss
13 participantes

¡1ª Review Online de Chinese Democracy! Rolling Stone says.... Empty ¡1ª Review Online de Chinese Democracy! Rolling Stone says....

Mensaje por Kyuss Miér Nov 12 2008, 14:18

Y aquí el link.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/24024297/review/24161281/chinese_democracy
Kyuss
Kyuss

http://www.playasguest.blogspot.com

¡1ª Review Online de Chinese Democracy! Rolling Stone says.... Empty Re: ¡1ª Review Online de Chinese Democracy! Rolling Stone says....

Mensaje por borope Miér Nov 12 2008, 15:50

Tengo la página capada en el trabajo. Alguien puede copiar/pegar, por favor? O es el mismo que colgó Ayers??
borope
borope

¡1ª Review Online de Chinese Democracy! Rolling Stone says.... Empty Re: ¡1ª Review Online de Chinese Democracy! Rolling Stone says....

Mensaje por Boohan Miér Nov 12 2008, 15:52

borope escribió:Tengo la página capada en el trabajo. Alguien puede copiar/pegar, por favor? O es el mismo que colgó Ayers??

Let's get right to it: The first Guns n' Roses album of new, original songs since the first Bush administration is a great, audacious, unhinged and uncompromising hard-rock record. In other words, it sounds a lot like the Guns n' Roses you know. At times, it's the clenched-fist five that made 1987's perfect storm, Appetite for Destruction; more often, it's the one sprawled across the maxed-out CDs of 1991's Use Your Illusion I and II, but here compressed into a convulsive single disc of supershred guitars, orchestral fanfares, hip-hop electronics, metallic tabernacle choirs and Axl Rose's still-virile, rusted-siren singing.

If Rose ever had a moment's doubt or repentance over what Chinese Democracy has cost him in time (13 years), money (14 studios are listed in the credits) and body count — including the exit of every other founding member of the band — he left no room for it in these 14 songs. "I bet you think I'm doin' this all for my health," Rose cracks through the saturation-bombing guitars in "I.R.S.," one of several glancing references on the album to what he knows a lot of people think of him: that Rose, now 46, has spent the last third of his life running off the rails, in half-light. But when he snaps, "All things are possible/I am unstoppable," in the thumper "Scraped," that's not loony hubris — just a good old rock & roll "fuck you," the kind that made him and the old band hot and famous in the first place.

Something else Rose broadcasts over and over on Chinese Democracy: Restraint is for suckers. There is plenty of familiar guitar firepower — the stabbing-dagger lick that opens the first track, "Chinese Democracy," the sand-devil fuzz in "Riad N' the Bedouins" and the looping squeals over the grand anguish of "Street of Dreams." But what Slash and Izzy Stradlin used to do with two guitars now takes a wall of 'em. On some tracks, Rose has up to five guys — Robin Finck, Buckethead, Paul Tobias, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and Richard Fortus — riffing and soloing in broad, saw-toothed blurs. And that's no drag. I still think the wild, superstuffed "Oh My God" — the early Chinese Democracy track wasted on the 1999 End of Days soundtrack — beats everything on Guns n' Roses' 1993 covers album, The Spaghetti Incident?

Most of these songs also go through multiple U-turns in personality, as if Rose kept trying new approaches to a hook or a bridge and then decided, "What the hell, they're all cool." "Better" starts with what sounds like hip-hop voicemail — severely pinched guitar, drum machine and a near-falsetto Rose ("No one ever told me when/I was alone/They just thought I'd know better") — before blowing up into vintage Sunset Strip wallop. "If the World" has Buckethead plucking acoustic Spanish guitar over a blaxploitation-film groove, while Rose shows that he still holds a long-breath vowel — part torture victim, part screaming jet — like no other rock singer.

And there is so much going on in "There Was a Time" — strings and Mellotron, a full-strength choir and Rose's overdubbed sour-growl harmonies, wah-wah guitar and a false ending (more choir) — that it's easy to believe Rose spent most of the past decade on that arrangement alone. But it is never a mess, more like a loud mass of bad memories and hard lessons. In the first lines, Rose goes back to a beginning much like his own — "Broken glass and cigarettes/ Writin' on the wall/It was a bargain for the summer/An' I thought I had it all" — then piles on the wreckage along with the orchestra and guitars. By the end, it's one big melt of missing and kiss-off ("If I could go back in time . . . But I don't want to know it now"). If this is the Guns n' Roses that Rose kept hearing in his head all this time, it is obvious why two guitars, bass and drums were never going to be enough.

It is plain, too, that he thinks this Guns n' Roses is a band, as much as the one that recorded "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Used to Love Her" and "Civil War." The voluminous credits that come with Chinese Democracy certainly give detailed credit where it is due. My favorite: "Initial arrangement suggestions: Youth on 'Madagascar." Rose takes the big one — "Lyrics N' Melodies by Axl Rose" — but shares full-song bylines with other players on all but one track. Bassist Tommy Stinson plays on nearly every song, and keyboardist Dizzy Reed, the only survivor from the Illusion lineup, does the Elton John-style piano honors on "Street of Dreams."

But Rose still sings a lot about the power of sheer, solitary will even when he throws himself into a bigger fight, like "Chinese Democracy." In "Madagascar," which Rose has played live for several years now, he samples both Dr. Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech and dialogue from Cool Hand Luke. And at the end of the album, on the bluntly titled "Prostitute," Rose veers from an almost conversational tenor, over a ticking-bomb shuffle, to five-guitar barrage, orchestral lightning and righteous howl: "Ask yourself/Why I would choose/To prostitute myself/To live with fortune and shame." To him, the long march to Chinese Democracy was not about paranoia and control. It was about saying "I won't" when everyone else insisted, "You must." You may debate whether any rock record is worth that extreme self-indulgence. Actually, the most rock & roll thing about Chinese Democracy is he doesn't care if you do.

DAVID FRICKE
Boohan
Boohan

Mensaje por Godofredo Miér Nov 12 2008, 15:56

Boohan escribió:it sounds a lot like the Guns n' Roses you know

¿Cuales de ellos?, sería la pregunta...

Le he echado un vistazo en casa, pone bastante bien el disco, ya veremos (escucharemos)...
Godofredo
Godofredo

Mensaje por Boohan Miér Nov 12 2008, 15:58

Ah, y le da un 4/5
Boohan
Boohan

Mensaje por DarthMercury Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:00

"At times, it's the clenched-fist five that made 1987's perfect storm, Appetite for Destruction; more often, it's the one sprawled across the maxed-out CDs of 1991's Use Your Illusion I and II, but here compressed into a convulsive single disc of supershred guitars, orchestral fanfares, hip-hop electronics, metallic tabernacle choirs and Axl Rose's still-virile, rusted-siren singing."

:Iroks: :Iroks: :Iroks:

Disco del año What a Face

Última edición por DarthMercury el Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:00, editado 1 vez

The Last Dinner Party - Caesar On A TV Screen
DarthMercury
DarthMercury
Moderador

http://www.gifmania.co.uk/Star-Wars/emperor/Emporer-01.gif

Mensaje por Le Bichô Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:00

Something else Rose broadcasts over and over on Chinese Democracy: Restraint is for suckers.
Lo mejor!
Le Bichô
Le Bichô

http://nuvitivi.blogspot.com

Mensaje por Johnny Kashmir Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:02

va a ser el mejor disco desde 1994.
Vamos, desde el Superunknown.
Johnny Kashmir
Johnny Kashmir

Mensaje por DarthMercury Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:03

I still think the wild, superstuffed "Oh My God" — the early Chinese Democracy track wasted on the 1999 End of Days soundtrack — beats everything on Guns n' Roses' 1993 covers album, The Spaghetti Incident?

Bueno, igual el criterio de este tipo no es tan de fiar como creíamos Neutral

DarthMercury
DarthMercury
Moderador

Mensaje por Johnny Kashmir Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:03

DarthMercury escribió:I still think the wild, superstuffed "Oh My God" — the early Chinese Democracy track wasted on the 1999 End of Days soundtrack — beats everything on Guns n' Roses' 1993 covers album, The Spaghetti Incident?

es el único desliz del reportaje. Sigue leyendo.
Johnny Kashmir
Johnny Kashmir

Mensaje por Godofredo Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:04

DarthMercury escribió:I still think the wild, superstuffed "Oh My God" — the early Chinese Democracy track wasted on the 1999 End of Days soundtrack — beats everything on Guns n' Roses' 1993 covers album, The Spaghetti Incident?

Cuando he leido eso, lo he dejado y me he ido a la oficina...
Godofredo
Godofredo

Mensaje por KIM_BACALAO Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:06

JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:va a ser el mejor disco desde 1994.

cómo mola tu facilidad de fliparse, prodigio
es lo que necesita la escena precisamente! cheers

yo estoy ya en el punto en el que creo que ni va a ser el disco de la década, ni del año
pero que un discazo sí que puede serlo

no me he atrevido a escucharlo más veces tras la primera pasada y media a los últimos leaks
lo he borrado del mp3 y todo

a ver si sale la definitiva de una vez... Rico

Moderador

Mensaje por wakam Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:08

me encanta ver cómo os pajeáis Laughing

Por cierto, Oh my God es muy buena y se caga en el incidente de los espaguetis, que no dejaba de ser un disco de versiones (punks, abriendolo con una balada totalmente fuera de lugar).
wakam
wakam

Mensaje por Johnny Kashmir Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:09

KIM_BACALAO escribió:
JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:va a ser el mejor disco desde 1994.

cómo mola tu facilidad de fliparse, prodigio
es lo que necesita la escena precisamente! cheers

yo estoy ya en el punto en el que creo que ni va a ser el disco de la década, ni del año
pero que un discazo sí que puede serlo

no me he atrevido a escucharlo más veces tras la primera pasada y media a los últimos leaks
lo he borrado del mp3 y todo

a ver si sale la definitiva de una vez... Rico

no es que me flipe bacalao, es que he oido muchas demos, las versiones finales.. y dios, TODO TEMAZOS. Hay uno llamado This Is Love que es una de las mejores baladas hechas en molto tiempo, de esas baladas al piano con voz rota tan cojonudas, hay otra llamada Catcher que parece que la haya escrito Freddie Mercury, Madagascar, Street Of Dreams y Sorry son de esas canciones épicas a lo November Rain, estranged, etc que tan bien le salen a Axl.

Y ya las más rockeras al principio no entra bien, pero cuando entran...
Johnny Kashmir
Johnny Kashmir

Mensaje por borope Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:14

Gracias por el copia pega!!!
borope
borope

Mensaje por wakam Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:14

"This is love" no. "This I love".
Lástima, porque me resulta más sugerente el primer título.
wakam
wakam

Mensaje por DarthMercury Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:15

JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:hay otra llamada Catcher que parece que la haya escrito Freddie Mercury

Otra vez disco del año cheers

DarthMercury
DarthMercury
Moderador

Mensaje por Johnny Kashmir Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:16

wakam escribió:"This is love" no. "This I love".
Lástima, porque me resulta más sugerente el primer título.

siempre me equivoco macho, antes la llamaba Is This Love porque la confundía con la de whitesnake.
ahora la confundo con la de Bob, será posible.
Johnny Kashmir
Johnny Kashmir

Mensaje por wakam Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:16

JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:
no es que me flipe bacalao, es que he oido muchas demos, las versiones finales.. y dios, TODO TEMAZOS. Hay uno llamado This Is Love que es una de las mejores baladas hechas en molto tiempo, de esas baladas al piano con voz rota tan cojonudas, hay otra llamada Catcher que parece que la haya escrito Freddie Mercury, Madagascar, Street Of Dreams y Sorry son de esas canciones épicas a lo November Rain, estranged, etc que tan bien le salen a Axl.

Vamos, todo aquello por lo que se pusieron de vuelta y media los Illusion en su día.
No por mi, que conste.
wakam
wakam

Mensaje por Johnny Kashmir Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:22

aviso que el que vaya a querer escuchar a los Guns N'Roses se va a llevar un charco, el sonido está muy modernizado, las canción superproducidas (a lo Night at the opera, en una canción, no recuerdo cual, puede oirse 4 voces de Axl a la vez... y sin desentonar y sin que quede mal, ojo) y todo muy épico, muy Axl Rose.

Pero es que todo suena divino.
Johnny Kashmir
Johnny Kashmir

Mensaje por wakam Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:23

JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:

Como el nuevo de AC/DC Laughing

Me pondré cómodo para contemplar de nuevo la subida y la bajada cómo molaaaa!
wakam
wakam

Mensaje por joselette Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:25

pajeros
joselette
joselette

Mensaje por Johnny Kashmir Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:26

wakam escribió:
JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:

aquí no hay bajada porque no hay la facultad de sorpresa, el de AC/DC creo que lo subí yo incoscientemente con eso de que es MI DISCO de AC/DC, y porque era primera escuchas.
Todas estas canciones las tengo muy escuchadas y las conozco, cada una 30 veces... es mucho mejor que el Black ice.
No es lo mismo no.
Es más, va al revés, va subiendo Surprised
Johnny Kashmir
Johnny Kashmir

Mensaje por Godofredo Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:27

violinista
Godofredo
Godofredo

Mensaje por DarthMercury Miér Nov 12 2008, 16:58

wakam escribió:
JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:

He de decir a favor de los pajilleros de AC/DC que al menos esperamos a tener el disco para salpicar Paja

DarthMercury
DarthMercury
Moderador

Mensaje por Ayers Miér Nov 12 2008, 17:01

DarthMercury escribió:
JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:hay otra llamada Catcher que parece que la haya escrito Freddie Mercury

Si claro.
Ayers
Ayers

Mensaje por DarthMercury Miér Nov 12 2008, 17:04

Ayers escribió:
DarthMercury escribió:

Si claro.

Eh, no se meta con Axl emulando a Freddie Mercury o tendremos problemas HitMe

Para mi si hay una sola canción al nivel de Jealousy ya es disco del año, aunque al resto le cambien las guitarras de Brian May y Bumblefoot por flautas peruanas.

DarthMercury
DarthMercury
Moderador

Mensaje por Ayers Miér Nov 12 2008, 17:07

DarthMercury escribió:
Ayers escribió:
DarthMercury escribió:

Si claro.

Eh, no se meta con Axl emulando a Freddie Mercury o tendremos problemas HitMe

Para mi si hay una sola canción al nivel de Jealousy ya es disco del año, aunque al resto le cambien las guitarras de Brian May y Bumblefoot por flautas peruanas.

No quiero crear expectativas ( Laughing ), pero se que Catcher in the rye y otras muchas te gustarán y encontrarás lazos amigos con tú pasado musical.
Ayers
Ayers

Mensaje por Johnny Kashmir Miér Nov 12 2008, 17:08

pirat

Última edición por JOHNYKASHMIR el Miér Nov 12 2008, 17:12, editado 1 vez
Johnny Kashmir
Johnny Kashmir

Mensaje por DarthMercury Miér Nov 12 2008, 17:09

JOHNYKASHMIR escribió:

Vivan los 80, vivan :Iroks:

DarthMercury
DarthMercury
Moderador