+5
thespidersfrommars
Shanks
atila
jojomojo
Intruder
9 participantes

Página 3 de 3. Precedente  1, 2, 3

TOOL for Learning: Materiales aprendizaje inglés - Página 3 Empty Re: TOOL for Learning: Materiales aprendizaje inglés

Mensaje por Intruder Lun 13 Dic 2021 - 3:06

Post for answers previous post

A) Share your answers to these questions with your partner:

1. Do you read poetry in your own language? Why? Why not?

2. Do you find poetry difficult? Why? Why not?

3. Have you ever read a poem in English?

B) Gary Snyder is an American poet who started out as a member of the Beat Generation. If you want, you can find out more about him here:

Gary Snyder
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/gary-snyder

Now read one of his poems and answer the questions on the worksheet:

December in Yase

A poem by Gary Snyder

Read this poem and answer the questions:
1) What do you think the poem is about? Choose the best description:
Lost love
Growing old
Fate
All of the above
2) What emotions does it express?
Intruder
Intruder

TOOL for Learning: Materiales aprendizaje inglés - Página 3 Empty Re: TOOL for Learning: Materiales aprendizaje inglés

Mensaje por Intruder Miér 15 Dic 2021 - 14:26

Choosing a synopsis has been a real tough task because, IMHO, there isn’t any outperforming the rest in all aspects, hence the need for analysis.

I would refer to the different texts as ISLAND (Group 1), MEETALLAND (Group 2), NIHIL (Group 3) and FLOODED (Group 4).

I strongly believe tha t a good PLOT is the mos t important part of a film, therefore I’m finally opting for NIHIL (Group 3).

First, they have wisely set a point in time (Year 2029) which undoubtedly helps the reader picture that scenario, whereas other groups haven’t.

I’ve found NIHIL very unsettling, because it describes a situation not so different from present times and its deadline is close enough, and that’s a great hook. On the contrary,as the other stories happen somewhere in time, in the past or in the future, it’s not so easy to build an emotional connection with them.

I have also taken into account that NIHIL seems to me like a brand new story, while others make me recall old movies or present-day regulations in some countries.

As regards CHARACTERS, NIHIL simply complies with the standard rule by introducing a hero and a heroin, altough they don’t see much action according to the synopsis. In contrast, characters in MEETALLAND and FLOODED are more lively. Hats off to Group 4 (FLOODED) for the lovely Maya, could’t help falling in love with her if I you were a teen...

Concerning the DEVELOPMENT, I must say that NIHIL falls short of expectations as it’s basically a teaser to a bigger story, because it just sets the scenario for the action which would take place in a sequel. Despite some loose ends, the other three groups deliver a full developed story.

In Chapter ACTION, ISLAND could be the winner thanks to the abundance of violent riots and demonstrations., while in FLOODED there is only a mention of a “long, hard and dangerous trip”

Finally, while two stories have an ENDING , the other two will remain waiting for a sequel.
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Dom 19 Dic 2021 - 18:34

Activities to do by December 22

This week you should be working on chapters 4, 4.1 and 4.2 of the Topic 3 activity book.

There is a new assignment in Topic 3, "Writing: a personal narrative". The dealine is January 12 (the first class of the second term), but you can start posting your texts from now.

The same applies to the 21 Lessons forum (parts II, III and IV). The deadline is January 10.

As usual, don't forget to do some work on MyELT. I have noticed that hardly anybody has done the tasks from Units 3 and 4, so it's time to start catching up.

Have a good week and see you next Wednesday for the last class before the holiday.
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Dom 19 Dic 2021 - 19:01

Topic 3: Activity book

4. Communication: body language

Ted Talk: "Your body language shapes who you are"

No subtitles

Subtitles

Listening tasks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12L7dZns1E9qmNGz93FELY9N_2Roy2rYz/view

Key
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YN78edzY4ZMtGa45qaFAUnLWFT7NWNvK/view
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Miér 22 Dic 2021 - 0:29

4.1. Negotiating: reading

Business and life lessons text
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G4ZjfzXE1ylFRelu62C42BEyrc3sQL0N/view

Tasks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V-5Zr8oFV8WoAiIaD_ap3KR33Vj0KbRY/view

Key
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dPfTNKJOC1yZGamkpdRg6nohpX999FrA/view
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Miér 22 Dic 2021 - 0:48

4.2. Communication across cultures: reading

Communication across cultures text
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zZvINytt-IHqyur5_C4VcpHDgGNCD5Uu/view

Worksheet (to check in class)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T-LRJzuu8Ih0zyPX4jegwbWBjBBP5diH/view

Text:
Communicating Across Cultures

Jan 24, 2019

By Carol Kinsey Goman, Ph.D.

Two psychiatrists meet on the street. One psychiatrist says to the other, "How are you?" The
second psychiatrist nods, hurries away, and thinks, "I wonder what he meant by that?"

If communicating person to person can be so difficult, then it's a safe bet that communicating
across cultures is even more challenging. Each culture has set rules that its members take
for granted. Few of us are aware of our own cultural biases because cultural imprinting is
begun at a very early age. And while some of a culture's knowledge, rules, beliefs, values,
phobias, and anxieties are taught explicitly, most of the information is absorbed
subconsciously.

Take this scene in a Chinese cemetery. Watching a Chinese man reverently placing fresh
fruit on a grave, an American visitor asked, "When do you expect your ancestors to get up
and eat the fruit?" The Chinese replied, "As soon as your ancestors get up and smell the
flowers."

The challenge for multinational communication has never been greater. Worldwide business
organizations have discovered that intercultural communication is a subject of
importance—not just because of increased globalization, but also because their domestic
workforce is growing more and more diverse, ethnically and culturally.

We are all individuals, and no two people belonging to the same culture are guaranteed to
respond in exactly the same way. However, generalizations are valid to the extent that they
provide clues on what you will most likely encounter when dealing with members of a
particular culture.

High-context vs. Low-context
All international communication is influenced by cultural differences. Even the choice of
communication medium can have cultural overtones. For example, advanced industrialized
nations rely heavily on electronic technology and emphasize written messages over oral or
face-to-face communication. Certainly the United States, Canada, and Germany exemplify
this trend. But the Japanese, who have access to the latest technologies, still rely more on
face-to-face communications than on written messages. The determining factor may not
be the degree of industrialization, but rather whether the country falls into a high-context or
low-context culture.

In some cultures, personal bonds and informal agreements are far more binding than any
formal contract. In others, the meticulous wording of legal documents is viewed as
paramount. High-context cultures (Mediterranean, Slav, Central European, Latin American,
African, Arab, Asian, American-Indian) leave much of the message unspecified, to be
understood through context, nonverbal cues, and between-the-lines interpretation of what is
actually said. By contrast, low-context cultures (most Germanic and English-speaking
countries) expect messages to be explicit and specific. The former are looking for meaning
and understanding in what is not said—in body language, in silences and pauses, and in
relationships and empathy. The latter place emphasis on sending and receiving accurate
messages directly, and by being precise with spoken or written words.

The business challenge for someone from a low-context culture is to realize the importance
of building and maintaining personal relationships when dealing with high-context cultures.

A major in the U.S. Air Force told me, "The most important thing I learned on my
international assignment was not to rush meetings with the typical 'American, take-charge
attitude.' I was present when the outgoing chief took the new officer to meet a key contact
and I watched, helpless and horrified, as the new man destroyed in five seconds what the
incumbent had taken a year to build. Undoubtedly the new chief thought he was creating the
impact of a hard-charging young executive, but in reality he was tearing down a delicate
relationship."

Sequential vs. Synchronic
Some cultures think of time sequentially, as a linear commodity to "spend," "save," or
"waste." Other cultures view time synchronically, as a constant flow to be experienced in the
moment, and as a force that cannot be contained or controlled.

A friend from Venezuela was invited to a party in the States. The hours on the invitation were
stated as 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. This was almost inconceivable to the Venezuelan. "How
can anyone know when the party will be over?" she asked. To her way of thinking, a party
can't be "timed." It begins when it begins and ends when it ends.

Whether time is perceived as a commodity or a constant determines the meaning and value
of being "on time." Think of the misunderstandings that can occur when one culture views
arriving late for a meeting as bad planning or a sign of disrespect, while another culture
views an insistence on timeliness as childish impatience.

In sequential cultures (like North American, English, German, Swedish, and Dutch),
businesspeople give full attention to one agenda item after another. In many other parts of
the world, professionals regularly do several things at the same time. I once cashed a check
at a Panamanian bank where the teller was counting my money, talking to a customer on the
phone, and admiring the baby in the arms of the woman behind me. To her, it was all
business as usual.

The American commoditization of time not only serves as the basis for a "time is money"
mentality, it can also lead to a fixation on timelines that plays right into the hands of savvy
negotiators from other cultures. A Japanese executive explained: "All we need to do is find
out when you are scheduled to leave the country—and, by the way, it amuses us that you
arrive with your return passage already booked. We wait until right before your flight to
present our offer. By then, you are so anxious to stay on schedule that you'll give away the
whole deal."

In synchronic cultures (including South America, southern Europe and Asia) the flow of time
is viewed as a sort of circle, with the past, present, and future all interrelated. This viewpoint
influences how organizations in those cultures approach deadlines, strategic thinking,
investments, developing talent from within, and the concept of "long-term" planning.

There's a joke about an American and a Chinese businessman sitting on a park bench in
Hong Kong. The American is saying, "Well, you know I've been in Hong Kong for my
company for 30 years. Thirty years! And in a few days they are sending me back to the
States." The Chinese executive replies, "That's the problem with you Americans: here today
and gone tomorrow."

Orientation to the past, present, and future is another aspect of time in which cultures differ.
Americans believe that the individual can influence the future by personal effort, but since
there are too many variables in the distant future, we favor a short-term view. This gives us
an international reputation of "going for the quick buck" and being interested only in the next
quarterly return. Even our relationships seem to be based on a "what have you done for me
lately?" pragmatism.

Synchronistic cultures have an entirely different perspective. The past becomes a context in
which to understand the present and prepare for the future. Any important relationship is a
durable bond that goes back and forward in time, and it is often viewed as grossly disloyal
not to favor friends and relatives in business dealings.

Affective vs. Neutral
With much angry gesturing, an Italian manager referred to the idea of his Dutch counterpart
as "crazy." The Dutch manager replied. "What do you mean, crazy? I've considered all the
factors, and I think this is a viable approach. And calm down! We need to analyze this, not
get sidetracked by emotional theatrics." At that point, the Italian walked out of the meeting.

In international business practices, reason and emotion both play a role. Which of these
dominates depends upon whether we are affective (readily showing emotions) or emotionally
neutral in our approach. Members of neutral cultures do not telegraph their feelings, but
keep them carefully controlled and subdued. In cultures with high affect, people show their
feelings plainly by laughing, smiling, grimacing, scowling, and sometimes crying, shouting,
or walking out of the room.

This doesn't mean that people in neutral cultures are cold or unfeeling. (All cultures will
express irrepressible joy or grief.) But in the course of normal business activities, neutral
cultures are more careful to monitor the amount of emotion they display. Research
conducted with people who were upset about something at work noted that only some
cultures supported expressing those feelings openly. Emotional reactions were found to be
least acceptable in Japan, Indonesia, the U.K., Norway, and the Netherlands and most
accepted in Italy, France, the U.S., and Singapore.

Reason and emotion are part of all human communication. When expressing ourselves, we
look to others for confirmation of our ideas and feelings. If our approach is highly emotional,
we are seeking a direct emotional response: "I feel the same way." If our approach is highly
neutral, we want an indirect response: "I agree with your thoughts on this."

It's easy for people from neutral cultures to sympathize with the Dutch manager and his
frustration over trying to reason with "that excitable Italian." After all, an idea either works or
it doesn't work, and the way to test the validity of an idea is through trial and observation.
That just makes sense—doesn't it? Well, not necessarily to the Italian who felt the issue was
deeply personal and who viewed any "rational argument" as totally irrelevant!

When it comes to communication, what's proper and correct in one culture may be
ineffective or even offensive in another. Culture is, basically, a set of values shared by a

group of people. These values affect how you think and act and, more importantly, the kind
of criteria by which you judge others. Cultural meanings render some behaviors as normal
and right and others as strange or wrong. In reality, no culture is right or wrong, better or
worse; just different. In today's global business community, there is no single best approach
to communicating with one another. The key to cross-cultural success is to develop an
understanding of, and a deep respect for, the differences.

https://www.amanet.org/articles/communicating-across-cultures/

Tasks:
Communicating across cultures worksheet

Briefly define the following categories described in the text:
1. High-context vs. Low-context
2. Sequential vs. Synchronic
3. Affective vs. Neutral

Find synonyms or definitions for the words in bold (line
numbers are given)
:
1. take for granted (8-9)
2. overtones (31)
3. binding (39)
4. paramount (41)
5. cues (43)
6. tearing down (58)
7. timeliness (74)
8. commoditization (83)
9. grossly (111)
10. sidetracked (118)
11. scowling (124)

Discuss:
1. Think of your own culture. How would you classify it according to the categories in
the text? Do you think these categories are useful to describe your culture?

2. Think of a culture you have experienced (because you’ve travelled or lived abroad,
because of people you know...). Do the categories in the text apply to it?

Última edición por Intruder el Miér 22 Dic 2021 - 14:00, editado 2 veces
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Miér 22 Dic 2021 - 0:52

Post for answers previous post:

Tasks:
Communicating across cultures worksheet

Briefly define the following categories described in the text:
1. High-context vs. Low-context In a low context culture nothing matters but explicit, specific and straight communication whereas in a high context culture some other qualitative aspects such as non-verbal communication are regarded.
2. Sequential vs. Synchronic  Low context cultures tend to regard time as an asset which can be traded, bought or sold and therefore they always seek to make the most of their time, while people from high context cultures don`t feel this time pressure
Another difference, low context cultures focus on short term future when  making decissions, while high context cultures also regard past and present times

3. Affective vs. Neutral Being affective means being emotional, showing your feeling and emotions when expressing yourself, while being neutral means keeping them under control, being reluctant to show them.

Find synonyms or definitions for the words in bold (line numbers are given):
1. take for granted (8-9) to believe something to be the truth without even thinking about it:
2. overtones (31) something that is suggested, but is not clearly stated:
3. binding (39) used to describe an agreement, contract, etc. that cannot be changed or stopped
4. paramount (41) more important than anything else
5. cues (43) a signal for someone to do something:
6. tearing down (58) to intentionally destroy a building or other structure because it is not being used or it is not wanted any more:
7. timeliness (74) the fact or quality of happening at the best possible time or at the right time:
8. commoditization (83) Regarding time as product that can be traded, bought, or sold:
9. grossly (111) extremely, very
10. sidetracked (118) to direct a person's attention away from an activity or subject towards another one that is less important:
11. scowling (124) looking at someone or something with a very annoyed expression

Discuss:
1. Think of your own culture. How would you classify it according to the categories inthe text? According to the given definitions, I have no hesitation in classifying my own culture as a low context one
Do you think these categories are useful to describe your culture? I think that they were even more useful in the past before globalisation and immigration grew. Nowadays there is a melting pot in  many countries which makes them increasingly harder to classify.

2. Think of a culture you have experienced (because you’ve travelled or lived abroad,because of people you know...). Do the categories in the text apply to it? I lived in Mexico for 12 years in three different time periods, working for the local subsidiary of spanish companies and I remember being asked so many times in Barcelona: “It’s got to be easy for you because you speak the same language” and my repply was always the same “We speak the same language but we often mean different things with the same words”
Probably the way they regard time would be the most irritating thing for someone coming from Europe.
Male and female roles in Mexico were way too different from the ones we’re familiar with here

Fidelity / Infidelity depending whether it concerns a relationship or labour.

Última edición por Intruder el Dom 2 Ene 2022 - 12:15, editado 1 vez
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Jue 23 Dic 2021 - 3:04

Writing: a personal narrative

Opened: Wednesday, 15 December 2021, 12:00 AM

Due: Wednesday, 12 January 2022, 11:59 PM

A) Read this story about a case of deceptive appearances:

Story: First impressions can be deceiving.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TalesFromRetail/comments/57ny93/first_impressions_can_be_deceiving/

B) Write a similar narrative for an online forum about a time when your first impression of a person proved to be totally wrong, and about the consequences of your mistake. The tone should be informal and colloquial.

Make sure you use precise and vivid language to describe the person and the setting, and also how you and/or the other person felt.

Your story can be based on truth or totally fictional, and it should be 275-300 words long.

Sample Text:
First impressions can be deceiving

This happened years ago when I worked in an office supplies store. I was working in the pens/pencils/markers/etc. aisle from where you can see the cashiers and store entrance. We were moderately busy this night, and there were 4 or 5 customers lined up at each of the two opened cash lines.

A gentleman came into the store and made a beeline to me (I guessed he was in a bit of a rush). I noticed he was dressed impeccably: fancy tailored suit, coat, scarf, fancy watch, etc. Obviously my first impression was he must be some rich corporate type. This was reinforced when he kindly asked me for the special type of pen used to sign checks. I showed him what he needed, he thanked me. Perfectly quick, smooth, and painless customer interaction. A model customer. I got back to my work as he went to line up to pay.

Roughly a minute later, I catch him through my peripheral vision leaving the aisle adjacent to mine and heading straight for the exit. Odd. I look towards the cash line he was in. Barely moved. Uh oh. There was no way he could have paid for his item already. I went over to the aisle he came from to confirm my suspicion. Right in plain sight on the fucking shelf was the fucking empty opened package of the fucking pen I just gave to him. Ugghh. I felt personally robbed.

I reported it to the manager of course, but there was nothing we could do by that point. I guess he was too rich and self-important to wait in line and pay.
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Dom 2 Ene 2022 - 12:39

Activities to do by January 12

These are the activities you need to do before we meet again on January 12:

From the Topic 3 activity book, chapters 4.4 and 4.5

The Topic 3 writing assignment ("A personal narrative")

The forum activity about parts II, III and IV (deadline: January 10)

The assignments from units 3 and 4 of MyELT.

Enjoy the holidays and let's hope we can all meet again in the new year having had a fun and relaxing time.
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Dom 2 Ene 2022 - 14:11

4.4. "Fighting talk": reading

"Fighting Talk" text
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pti0MrGaiH-wz8xe6dHZkn4p24fZMD7U/view

Tasks with key
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CAcyXDoekpIVAwz5jVT58miAGtKTCPVp/view
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Jue 6 Ene 2022 - 15:43

4.5. The future of language: listening and discussion

A) Listen to a section from a BBC 4 podcast about communication and technology.

Podcast: The future of language
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f-OK917lgbCqYXYKqms3L-ARORnUGOhB/view

Follow the instructions on the worksheet:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nak5ufvhPbMOcNkcKvckfdyqW4Mz8jMgt1OAVR3rtmM/edit#

The future of language: a BBC4 podcast
Part 1: from minute 26:23 (after the music) to minute 31:36

The first part of the podcast is an interview with Professor Rajesh Rao about brain-to-brain communication. Before you listen to the interview, read this text about one of the experiments described in the interview:

https://www.washington.edu/news/2013/08/27/researcher-controls-colleagues-motions-in-1st-human-brain-to-brain-interface/
University of Washington researchers have performed what they believe is the first noninvasive human-to-human brain interface, with one researcher able to send a brain signal via the Internet to control the hand motions of a fellow researcher.

A photo showing both sides of the demonstration.
University of Washington researcher Rajesh Rao, left, plays a computer game with his mind. Across campus, researcher Andrea Stocco, right, wears a magnetic stimulation coil over the left motor cortex region of his brain. Stocco’s right index finger moved involuntarily to hit the “fire” button as part of the first human brain-to-brain interface demonstration.University of Washington

Using electrical brain recordings and a form of magnetic stimulation, Rajesh Rao sent a brain signal to Andrea Stocco on the other side of the UW campus, causing Stocco’s finger to move on a keyboard.

While researchers at Duke University have demonstrated brain-to-brain communication between two rats, and Harvard researchers have demonstrated it between a human and a rat, Rao and Stocco believe this is the first demonstration of human-to-human brain interfacing.

“The Internet was a way to connect computers, and now it can be a way to connect brains,” Stocco said. “We want to take the knowledge of a brain and transmit it directly from brain to brain.”

The researchers captured the full demonstration on video recorded in both labs. The following version has been edited for length. This video and high-resolution photos also are available on the research website.

Rao, a UW professor of computer science and engineering, has been working on brain-computer interfacing in his lab for more than 10 years and just published a textbook on the subject. In 2011, spurred by the rapid advances in technology, he believed he could demonstrate the concept of human brain-to-brain interfacing. So he partnered with Stocco, a UW research assistant professor in psychology at the UW’s Institute for Learning & Brain Sciences.

On Aug. 12, Rao sat in his lab wearing a cap with electrodes hooked up to an electroencephalography machine, which reads electrical activity in the brain. Stocco was in his lab across campus wearing a purple swim cap marked with the stimulation site for the transcranial magnetic stimulation coil that was placed directly over his left motor cortex, which controls hand movement.

The team had a Skype connection set up so the two labs could coordinate, though neither Rao nor Stocco could see the Skype screens.

Rao looked at a computer screen and played a simple video game with his mind. When he was supposed to fire a cannon at a target, he imagined moving his right hand (being careful not to actually move his hand), causing a cursor to hit the “fire” button. Almost instantaneously, Stocco, who wore noise-canceling earbuds and wasn’t looking at a computer screen, involuntarily moved his right index finger to push the space bar on the keyboard in front of him, as if firing the cannon. Stocco compared the feeling of his hand moving involuntarily to that of a nervous tic.

“It was both exciting and eerie to watch an imagined action from my brain get translated into actual action by another brain,” Rao said. “This was basically a one-way flow of information from my brain to his. The next step is having a more equitable two-way conversation directly between the two brains.”

A diagram showing the cycle of the brain-to-brain interface demonstration.
The cycle of the experiment. Brain signals from the “Sender” are recorded. When the computer detects imagined hand movements, a “fire” command is transmitted over the Internet to the TMS machine, which causes an upward movement of the right hand of the “Receiver.” This usually results in the “fire” key being hit.University of Washington

The technologies used by the researchers for recording and stimulating the brain are both well-known. Electroencephalography, or EEG, is routinely used by clinicians and researchers to record brain activity noninvasively from the scalp. Transcranial magnetic stimulation is a noninvasive way of delivering stimulation to the brain to elicit a response. Its effect depends on where the coil is placed; in this case, it was placed directly over the brain region that controls a person’s right hand. By activating these neurons, the stimulation convinced the brain that it needed to move the right hand.

Computer science and engineering undergraduates Matthew Bryan, Bryan Djunaedi, Joseph Wu and Alex Dadgar, along with bioengineering graduate student Dev Sarma, wrote the computer code for the project, translating Rao’s brain signals into a command for Stocco’s brain.

“Brain-computer interface is something people have been talking about for a long, long time,” said Chantel Prat, assistant professor in psychology at the UW’s Institute for Learning & Brain Sciences, and Stocco’s wife and research partner who helped conduct the experiment. “We plugged a brain into the most complex computer anyone has ever studied, and that is another brain.”

At first blush, this breakthrough brings to mind all kinds of science fiction scenarios. Stocco jokingly referred to it as a “Vulcan mind meld.” But Rao cautioned this technology only reads certain kinds of simple brain signals, not a person’s thoughts. And it doesn’t give anyone the ability to control your actions against your will.

Both researchers were in the lab wearing highly specialized equipment and under ideal conditions. They also had to obtain and follow a stringent set of international human-subject testing rules to conduct the demonstration.

“I think some people will be unnerved by this because they will overestimate the technology,” Prat said. “There’s no possible way the technology that we have could be used on a person unknowingly or without their willing participation.”

Stocco said years from now the technology could be used, for example, by someone on the ground to help a flight attendant or passenger land an airplane if the pilot becomes incapacitated. Or a person with disabilities could communicate his or her wish, say, for food or water. The brain signals from one person to another would work even if they didn’t speak the same language.

Rao and Stocco next plan to conduct an experiment that would transmit more complex information from one brain to the other. If that works, they then will conduct the experiment on a larger pool of subjects.

Their research was funded in part by the National Science Foundation’s Engineering Research Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering at the UW, the U.S. Army Research Office and the National Institutes of Health.

What does “Vulcan mind meld” mean? What is the origin of this phrase?

Now listen to the interview and answer the following questions:

What was the main difference between the two experiments described?
In what way does the professor say that “privacy is really important”?
What is the interviewer referring to when she says, “Wouldn’t that be exhausting?”
What does the professor say about “markers” and “tags”?
According to the professor, how would brain-to-brain communication work between speakers of different languages?
When does he argue we may use normal language, as opposed to brain-to-brain communication, in the future?
Part 2: from minute 31:26 to minute 33:39
Listen to the two presenters commenting on the previous interview and answer the following questions:
Who expresses more negative feelings about brain-to-brain communication, the man or the woman?
One of the presenters says that language is “the lingerie of thought”, and compares it to “petticoats”. What do you think he means?

Part 3: from minute 33:39 to minute 39:00 (music)
You are going to listen to an interview with another professor, Finn Brunton, who talks about language and the internet. Are the following statements true or false, according to what he says? Try to correct the false statements.

Our television screens are watching us.
The term “bellyfeel” has been created recently.
Most of us know the risks of doing online searches.
Our searches are used to produce poems.
Freedom is not necessarily threatened by machines generating language.
Chess playing machines can collaborate with humans.
In the future, computers may write our emails.
A novelist’s writing style could be faithfully replicated after their death.
Prepare to discuss these questions in class:
What beneficial and harmful uses of brain-to-brain communication can you think of?
How do you feel about your internet searches being “read” by AI?

B) Read this declaration about the subject of brain-computer interfaces and answer the questions:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XurLy1qj_XPhtBR4cnLetpvbTN6pe7-J-H4ejQVkfBQ/edit#
Declaration on the ethics of brain–computer interfaces and augmented intelligence
Yi Zeng, Kang Sun & Enmeng Lu
AI and Ethics volume 1, pages 209–211 (2021) Cite this article

Progresses and risks

Brain–computer interfaces (BCIs) are a transdisciplinary field of, but not limited to, brain science and artificial intelligence. It can be divided into invasive, semi-invasive, and non-invasive BCIs. Invasive (e.g., micro-electrodes) and semi-invasive (e.g., ECoG) BCIs are mainly aimed at the medical field, to solve problems in brain diseases, and cognitive dysfunction for brain injury patients. Non-invasive BCIs (e.g., EEG, MEG, PET, fMRI, and fNIRS) are currently aimed primarily at the general consumer market to augment and expand human cognitive function.

BCIs are a disruptive technology that repairs, augmenteds, expands, and extends human intelligence. It is one of the important means to achieve augmented intelligence. The purpose of augmented intelligence is to augment human intelligence and cognitive ability as an assistive technology, not to replace it. One of the original intentions of the BCIs and augmented intelligence technology is to help patients with motor nerve dysfunction. Today’s BCI technology is not only used to treat injuries and diseases, but it can also be used for game control, to help disabled people control wheelchairs, to help and improve learning, and to be used in the military field.

BCI technology has a bright future in general, especially in medical treatment and expanding human cognition. While its development is in a very infancy stage, and many potential applications based on the current BCIs will be with risks out of control. For example, deep-brain stimulation (DBS) is a BCI technology used to treat Parkinson’s diseases, severe obsessive–compulsive disorder, and severe depression, and the potential risks to use the current DBS are still with a long list, including wound infection, paresthesia, seizures, intracerebral hemorrhage, hemiplegia, cerebral infarction, and iatrogenic harms.

Although much recent progress seems very encouraging, once BCIs are mature enough for various mind-reading tasks and used in various scenarios, it is nearly impossible for individuals to keep their thoughts private, which will lead to great challenges for personal privacy and human agency. In addition, how should we interact and treat people who use BCIs to extend their memory and learning or extend their physical motor skills? Is it fair that empowered people will benefit more than those who did not use the technology? These ethical issues have attracted attention, and are just the tip of the iceberg.

The declaration
We advocate the development of human-oriented, sustainable BCIs and augmented intelligence to ensure promotion of human flourishing. Based on existing ethical considerations of BCIs, we issue the following declaration:

Privacy protection: When conducting scientific experiments and technical services of BCIs and augmented intelligence, attention should be paid to the boundaries of brain data collection and analysis. If user-related disease information, potential health information, and other privacy-related information (such as the information that users do not want to share, but obtained through BCIs) are obtained, they should be processed reasonably. Informed consent should be obtained for obtaining and using user-related private information, and appropriate mechanisms for user authorization revocation should be provided.

Identity and responsibility: recognition BCIs may affect people’s perception on the self and personal responsibility, including moral responsibility and legal responsibility (for example, when people use BCI-related equipment, due to insufficient training, absence of concentration, hacker intrusion, or equipment failure with the BCIs, they may cause harm to the external environment and other humans. These may not be the subjective wishes of users). Therefore, when applying BCI technologies, especially invasive BCIs, to the human body, it is necessary to pay close attention to the changes in users’ recognition of self, identity and responsibility, and prevent negative impact on affecting human identity and responsibility recognition.

Autonomy of decision making: BCIs and augmented intelligence devices should not be used to replace and weaken human decision-making ability when they have not fully proved that they can ensure to keep the risks below the human level. The autonomy of human decision making and judgment should be respected and maintained.

Safety and security: BCIs can cause infection, headaches, and other injuries to humans due to device implantation or interfaces with the devices. It can also be exploited due to technical loopholes or design defects of its equipment, and is prone to failure. Therefore, key techniques need to be open and transparent as necessary to reduce potential risks. The stability, safety, security, adaptability, and reliability of BCIs devices need to be continuously improved to avoid design flaws which may cause negative side effects to other human beings and the environment. Reasonable safety and security mechanisms should be gradually designed and implemented to avoid execution of possible negative intent implementation.

Informed consent: BCIs and augmented intelligent product and service providers need to clearly inform users of the potential risks of related products and services and clearly obtain user (or authorized representatives) consent. Users (or authorized representatives) have the right to suspend the use of related products and services, and related service providers (including medical) should follow the users' wishes to make the appropriate adjustments.

Accountability It should be required that the design, development, use and deployment phases of BCIs and augmented intelligence are accountable. Key technologies should be open as necessary, and the relevant part of the systems should have necessary levels of transparency, explainability, predictability. In addition, the traceability of faults and risks should be ensured.

Fairness: BCIs and augmented intelligence have the potential to enable users to gain stronger cognitive abilities. It is possible to gain a clear advantage in competition with ordinary people who do not have the financial possibilities to use these technologies. Developed areas and high-income people are more likely to obtain BCIs and augmented intelligent technologies than ordinary people in backward areas to augment their social superiority, which may widen the gap between the rich and the poor, leading to unfairness in social activities such as employment and education. Therefore, it is necessary to pay attention to the potential fairness controversy when efforts are put to obtain benefits from enhancing existing human intelligence. Attention needs to be paid to avoid bringing unfairness through introducing BCIs and augmented intelligence in the area of education, work, resource allocation and many others.

Avoiding bias: The thoughts and behaviors of those who use BCIs and augmented intelligence to repair and augmented human intelligence may be different from those who have not applied these technologies. However, no bias should be allowed against people who use BCIs and augmented intelligence. Relevant users should be fully respected. Their dignity should not be compromised, and all their due rights should be ensured.

Moderate use: Many aspects of BCIs and augmented intelligence are still in the very early stages of development, especially that the maturity of related equipment and algorithms still need to be improved. In addition, its long-term impact on humans and society is still unclear. Therefore, the use of BCIs and augmented intelligence products and services should follow the principle of moderate use. It is recommended that they should be used after careful evaluation, and should be used when necessary, so that the negative impact on humans could be minimized.

Avoid misuse: One should avoid applying related products and services without an adequate understanding of the potential negative effects of BCIs and augmented intelligence products and services. One should also avoid improper application without understanding the scope of application of related products and services.

Prohibition of abuse and malicious use: It is prohibited to abuse BCIs and augmented intelligence products and services that violate the dignity and fundamental human rights. It is prohibited to abuse related technologies to undermine social stability, trust, justice, unity and peace. It is prohibited to maliciously apply related technologies and services to engage in illegal activities or seek improper benefits. It is prohibited to use loopholes in related technologies and services to engage in illegal activities or seek improper gains. Users should not use BCIs and augmented intelligence to avoid their own responsibilities.

Multi-stakeholder governance: The ethical issues of BCIs require profound discussions, debates and long-term attention from scholars in Brain and Neuroscience, Medical Science, Artificial Intelligence, Material Science, Electrical Engineering, Philosophy, Ethics, Sociology, and many other fields. Research institutions, industries, governments and the general public need to be involved. Various countries and intergovernmental organizations should gradually establish BCIs and augmented intelligence governance frameworks and mechanisms in a democratic manner, and conduct practices and evaluations, so as to continuously support the grounding and implementation of relevant ethical principles.

Discussion
The formulation of ethical declarations and principles is only the starting point for the responsible development of BCIs and augmented intelligence. What is more essential is to implement the declarations and principles from technical and social perspectives, and establish an effective evaluation mechanism to ensure that the declarations and principles are effectively implemented as expected.

BCIs and augmented intelligence systems are not like traditional tools, such as a knife, a tool itself with very limited safety mechanisms and risk precautions (For example, a knife cannot identify potential harm for human and other living beings and assist the avoidance of them). The service providers of BCIs and augmented intelligence systems should be more accountable and take more responsibilities. Well-designed BCIs and augmented intelligence systems can have monitoring components which can be used to monitor and help avoid specific types of potential harms to others. Hence, if the users of BCIs and augmented intelligence systems intend to take actions to do harm to others (even to themselves), they should be gradually designed and implemented to be with more safety and risk precaution mechanisms to avoid the execution of possible negative intent implementation, such as do harm to others.

In the absence of ethical considerations, the development and use of BCIs and augmented intelligence will greatly reduce the public’s trust and acceptance of innovative technologies, and have potential risks that will have irreversible negative impacts on human society. Embedding ethical considerations in the full life cycle of BCIs and augmented intelligence products and services, and continuously developing and benefiting from multi-stakeholder governance can ensure the sustainable development of BCIs and augmented intelligence, and ultimately contribute to human flourishing and sustainable development of human society.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s43681-020-00036-x

What are the two main benefits and risks of BCIs outlined in the first section?
What is the overall purpose of the declaration?
What do the authors argue is necessary beyond ethical declarations?
Are the authors confident that BCIs can be implemented in an ethical way?
Which points in the declaration are likely to be implemented in your opinion? And which aren't?

Última edición por Intruder el Miér 12 Ene 2022 - 12:43, editado 1 vez
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Jue 6 Ene 2022 - 15:44

POST FOR ANSWER

4.5. The future of language: listening and discussion

The future of language: a BBC4 podcast
Part 1: from minute 26:23 (after the music) to minute 31:36

The first part of the podcast is an interview with Professor Rajesh Rao about brain-to-brain communication. Before you listen to the interview, read this text about one of the experiments described in the interview:

What does “Vulcan mind meld” mean? What is the origin of this phrase?

Now listen to the interview and answer the following questions:

What was the main difference between the two experiments described?
In what way does the professor say that “privacy is really important”?
What is the interviewer referring to when she says, “Wouldn’t that be exhausting?”
What does the professor say about “markers” and “tags”?
According to the professor, how would brain-to-brain communication work between speakers of different languages?
When does he argue we may use normal language, as opposed to brain-to-brain communication, in the future?
Part 2: from minute 31:26 to minute 33:39
Listen to the two presenters commenting on the previous interview and answer the following questions:
Who expresses more negative feelings about brain-to-brain communication, the man or the woman?
One of the presenters says that language is “the lingerie of thought”, and compares it to “petticoats”. What do you think he means?

Part 3: from minute 33:39 to minute 39:00 (music)
You are going to listen to an interview with another professor, Finn Brunton, who talks about language and the internet. Are the following statements true or false, according to what he says? Try to correct the false statements.

Our television screens are watching us.
The term “bellyfeel” has been created recently.
Most of us know the risks of doing online searches.
Our searches are used to produce poems.
Freedom is not necessarily threatened by machines generating language.
Chess playing machines can collaborate with humans.
In the future, computers may write our emails.
A novelist’s writing style could be faithfully replicated after their death.
Prepare to discuss these questions in class:
What beneficial and harmful uses of brain-to-brain communication can you think of?
How do you feel about your internet searches being “read” by AI?

B) Read this declaration about the subject of brain-computer interfaces and answer the questions:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XurLy1qj_XPhtBR4cnLetpvbTN6pe7-J-H4ejQVkfBQ/edit#
Declaration on the ethics of brain–computer interfaces and augmented intelligence

What are the two main benefits and risks of BCIs outlined in the first section?
What is the overall purpose of the declaration?
What do the authors argue is necessary beyond ethical declarations?
Are the authors confident that BCIs can be implemented in an ethical way?
Which points in the declaration are likely to be implemented in your opinion? And which aren't?

Última edición por Intruder el Miér 12 Ene 2022 - 12:56, editado 3 veces
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Jue 6 Ene 2022 - 15:46

21 Lessons forum (parts II, III and IV)

Due: Monday, 10 January 2022, 11:59 PM

Write a short post (no more than 200 words) commenting on an idea/argument/opinion from this part of the book that you find interesting and that you agree or disagree with.  You may also comment on somebody else's post.

You should not write a summary of the chapter(s) you're referring to. Just give your opinion about one particular aspect of Harari's arguments.

The teacher has posted an example. You may respond to it if you like.

Example:
I find Harari's views on religion rather bold and uncompromising. I think I've hardly ever come across anybody so critical of the very concept of faith. He seems to rely solely on a rational and secular approach. As an unbeliever, I find his stand appealing though perhaps too extreme. In my view the spiritual (for lack of a better word) side of human experience cannot be dismissed so easily, whatever the shortcomings of organized religion. On the other hand, he admits that some religious traditions recognize and share the secular values he describes, so on the whole I'd say his views in this regard are quite nuanced. What do you think? Feel free to disagree with me, of course!
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Mar 11 Ene 2022 - 1:30

@Intruder escribió:21 Lessons forum (parts II, III and IV)

Due: Monday, 10 January 2022, 11:59 PM

Write a short post (no more than 200 words) commenting on an idea/argument/opinion from this part of the book that you find interesting and that you agree or disagree with.  You may also comment on somebody else's post.

You should not write a summary of the chapter(s) you're referring to. Just give your opinion about one particular aspect of Harari's arguments.

The teacher has posted an example. You may respond to it if you like.

Example:
I find Harari's views on religion rather bold and uncompromising. I think I've hardly ever come across anybody so critical of the very concept of faith. He seems to rely solely on a rational and secular approach. As an unbeliever, I find his stand appealing though perhaps too extreme. In my view the spiritual (for lack of a better word) side of human experience cannot be dismissed so easily, whatever the shortcomings of organized religion. On the other hand, he admits that some religious traditions recognize and share the secular values he describes, so on the whole I'd say his views in this regard are quite nuanced. What do you think? Feel free to disagree with me, of course!

Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Miér 12 Ene 2022 - 14:58

@Intruder escribió:Writing: a personal narrative

https://www.reddit.com/r/TalesFromRetail/comments/57ny93/first_impressions_can_be_deceiving/

B) Write a similar narrative for an online forum about a time when your first impression of a person proved to be totally wrong, and about the consequences of your mistake. The tone should be informal and colloquial.

Make sure you use precise and vivid language to describe the person and the setting, and also how you and/or the other person felt.

Your story can be based on truth or totally fictional, and it should be 275-300 words long.

Sample Text:

This happened years ago when I worked in an office supplies store. I was working in the pens/pencils/markers/etc. aisle from where you can see the cashiers and store entrance. We were moderately busy this night, and there were 4 or 5 customers lined up at each of the two opened cash lines.

A gentleman came into the store and made a beeline to me (I guessed he was in a bit of a rush). I noticed he was dressed impeccably: fancy tailored suit, coat, scarf, fancy watch, etc. Obviously my first impression was he must be some rich corporate type. This was reinforced when he kindly asked me for the special type of pen used to sign checks. I showed him what he needed, he thanked me. Perfectly quick, smooth, and painless customer interaction. A model customer. I got back to my work as he went to line up to pay.

Roughly a minute later, I catch him through my peripheral vision leaving the aisle adjacent to mine and heading straight for the exit. Odd. I look towards the cash line he was in. Barely moved. Uh oh. There was no way he could have paid for his item already. I went over to the aisle he came from to confirm my suspicion. Right in plain sight on the fucking shelf was the fucking empty opened package of the fucking pen I just gave to him. Ugghh. I felt personally robbed.

I reported it to the manager of course, but there was nothing we could do by that point. I guess he was too rich and self-important to wait in line and pay.

Think it was 1990. We were celebrating someone’s birthday (was it mine?) at the office. As it was getting real late, I invited some colleagues to carry on partying at  my flat, which was nearby.When the party was over everybody left but Abner, a university student who was teaching English freelance at my company at that time.As he didn’t have a car I offered to give him a ride home, so I asked him for his address. It was so far...and so late... and we had been drinking so  much....that I finally invited him to stay overnight. I can’t exactly remember now how it happened, but he settled permanently in my apartament As my company paid the rent I never asked him to share costs but he voluntarily handled the housekeeping.

Abner was something like the ideal friend to me. He was very charming  and polite, funny and confident, and we shared the same hobbies: we were very keen on  History and Politics, we loved to daytrip outside the city on weekends to visit ancient ruins, old mining  towns, colonial villages  or natural springs. We went so often to the football games at the UNAM or the Azteca, and we liked the same music and never missed any rock gig in town. Since I first met him he was going out with a cute classmate . They both were tall and thin and made a beautiful couple, while I was dating some girls to pass the time.

Coming back sooner than scheduled from a business trip, I discovered to my astonishment that Abner was leading a perverted double life every time I was away. Once I found evidence of his bizarre behaviour , I gathered the courage to call him and asked him to leave. God knows it didn’t hurt him more than me! I was amazed at how angrily he reacted, scowling at me, denying  all facts and calling my girl friend a liar. He packed and slammed the door so violently that I was afraid for a long time of being stabbed by him dressed while opening the door.

Sometime later, I told my broker the whole story, and she gaped at me and said “I really thought you  two were in a gay relationship!. When I first met you  I got a kind of crush on you and dreamt of asking you out, but when you introduced me to Abner...we  women can notice this....my dream was over....”

Corrections by
jojomojo Jue Ene 13 2022, 21:43

Abner was something like the ideal friend to me. He was very charming and polite, funny and confident, and we shared the same hobbies: we were very keen on History and Politics, we loved to take day trips outside the city on weekends to visit ancient ruins, old mining towns, colonial villages or natural springs. We often  went to the football games at the UNAM or the Azteca, and we liked the same music and never missed any rock gig in town. When I first met him he was going out with a cute classmate . They were both tall and thin and made a beautiful couple, meanwhile I was dating different girls to pass the time.

Coming back sooner than scheduled from a business trip, I discovered to my astonishment that Abner was leading a perverted double life every time I was away. Once I found evidence of his bizarre behaviour , I gathered the courage to call him and asked him to leve. God knows it hurt me more than it hurt him ! I was amazed at how angrily he reacted, scowling at me, denying all facts and calling my girl friend a liar. He packed and slammed the door so violently that I was afraid for a long time of being stabbed by him while opening the door.

Sometime later, I told my broker the whole story, and she gaped at me and said “I really thought you two were in a gay relationship!. When I first met you I got a kind of crush on you and dreamt of asking you out, but when you introduced me to Abner...we women can notice this....my dream was over....”

✅

Última edición por Intruder el Miér 19 Ene 2022 - 18:58, editado 1 vez
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Lun 17 Ene 2022 - 20:32

Activities to do by January 19

This week we're starting Topic 4, "Sustainable economy". You should do the tasks in chapters 1, 1.1 and 1.2.

As regards MyELT, there are new assignments from units 5 and 8 that you can start working on.

And of course, carry on reading 21 Lessons for the 21st Century and post your comments on the forum if you haven't done it yet.

Have a good week.
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Lun 17 Ene 2022 - 20:40

Topic 4: Activity book

1. Energy poverty: listening

Watch this talk by a Kenyan expert and answer the questions in the worksheet.

"How to bring affordable, sustainable electricity to Africa | Rose M. Mutiso"

Worksheet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y83VbyUqXjBdM1fExqWlVNSQGN4UYyiB/view

A) Summarize what the speaker says about the three main mistakes made in trying to solve energy poverty in Africa.

B) Explain the meaning of these words and phrases by using synonyms or definitions in English. The approximate minutes in the recording are given:

1. from scratch (00:54)
2. off-grid solar (02.41 and several times later on)
3. grapple with (03:46)
4. binary threshold (04:17)
5. bumps against (06:38)
6. solicitous narrative (07:08)
7. at scale (07:52)
8. glacial pace (08:40)
9. tradeoffs (09:35)
10. either-or framing (10:36)
11. is endowed (10:48)
12. quirks (11:54)

C) Discuss:
1. Bearing in mind Rose M. Mutiso’s arguments, what role do you think rich countries
should play in solving energy poverty globally?
2. In your opinion, is solving the problem of energy poverty compatible with sustainability?
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Lun 17 Ene 2022 - 20:41

Post for answers previous post:

A) Summarize what the speaker says about the three main mistakes made in trying to solve energy poverty in Africa.

B) Explain the meaning of these words and phrases by using synonyms or definitions in English. The approximate minutes in the recording are given:

1. from scratch (00:54)
2. off-grid solar (02.41 and several times later on)
3. grapple with (03:46)
4. binary threshold (04:17)
5. bumps against (06:38)
6. solicitous narrative (07:08)
7. at scale (07:52)
8. glacial pace (08:40)
9. tradeoffs (09:35)
10. either-or framing (10:36)
11. is endowed (10:48)
12. quirks (11:54)

C) Discuss:
1. Bearing in mind Rose M. Mutiso’s arguments, what role do you think rich countries
should play in solving energy poverty globally?
2. In your opinion, is solving the problem of energy poverty compatible with sustainability?
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Lun 17 Ene 2022 - 22:51

1.1. "The magic washing machine": listening

subtitled in spanish

no subtitles

"The magic washing machine" listening tasks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CulGsG4tTP1M7BX826NxT5tKHolXn5V1/view

Key
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vzwz-6tNcEZ2_uQPHLZIFcqbDcHsJNXq/view
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Mar 18 Ene 2022 - 0:23

1.2. Green consumerism

Green consumerism text
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XT7iybfyjGhbJ4ajnOPTuw7A8eNvcMQY/view

Green consumerism questions
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ES5uhwDe46iUp46VLIu_uDa9zUmmwHq2/view

Key
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pna2n_T0SpcdTzeenofrFhvgBQc49ruC/view
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Miér 19 Ene 2022 - 19:05

@Intruder escribió:
@Intruder escribió:Writing: a personal narrative

Sample Text:

Think it was 1990. We were celebrating someone’s birthday (was it mine?) at the office. As it was getting real late, I invited some colleagues to carry on partying at  my flat, which was nearby.When the party was over everybody left but Abner, a university student who was teaching English freelance at my company at that time.As he didn’t have a car I offered to give him a ride home, so I asked him for his address. It was so far...and so late... and we had been drinking so  much....that I finally invited him to stay overnight. I can’t exactly remember now how it happened, but he settled permanently in my apartament As my company paid the rent I never asked him to share costs but he voluntarily handled the housekeeping.

Abner was something like the ideal friend to me. He was very charming  and polite, funny and confident, and we shared the same hobbies: we were very keen on  History and Politics, we loved to daytrip outside the city on weekends to visit ancient ruins, old mining  towns, colonial villages  or natural springs. We went so often to the football games at the UNAM or the Azteca, and we liked the same music and never missed any rock gig in town. Since I first met him he was going out with a cute classmate . They both were tall and thin and made a beautiful couple, while I was dating some girls to pass the time.

Coming back sooner than scheduled from a business trip, I discovered to my astonishment that Abner was leading a perverted double life every time I was away. Once I found evidence of his bizarre behaviour , I gathered the courage to call him and asked him to leave. God knows it didn’t hurt him more than me! I was amazed at how angrily he reacted, scowling at me, denying  all facts and calling my girl friend a liar. He packed and slammed the door so violently that I was afraid for a long time of being stabbed by him dressed while opening the door.

Sometime later, I told my broker the whole story, and she gaped at me and said “I really thought you  two were in a gay relationship!. When I first met you  I got a kind of crush on you and dreamt of asking you out, but when you introduced me to Abner...we  women can notice this....my dream was over....”

Corrections by
jojomojo Jue Ene 13 2022, 21:43

Abner was something like the ideal friend to me. He was very charming and polite, funny and confident, and we shared the same hobbies: we were very keen on History and Politics, we loved to take day trips outside the city on weekends to visit ancient ruins, old mining towns, colonial villages or natural springs. We often  went to the football games at the UNAM or the Azteca, and we liked the same music and never missed any rock gig in town. When I first met him he was going out with a cute classmate . They were both tall and thin and made a beautiful couple, meanwhile I was dating different girls to pass the time.

Coming back sooner than scheduled from a business trip, I discovered to my astonishment that Abner was leading a perverted double life every time I was away. Once I found evidence of his bizarre behaviour , I gathered the courage to call him and asked him to leve. God knows it hurt me more than it hurt him ! I was amazed at how angrily he reacted, scowling at me, denying all facts and calling my girl friend a liar. He packed and slammed the door so violently that I was afraid for a long time of being stabbed by him while opening the door.

Sometime later, I told my broker the whole story, and she gaped at me and said “I really thought you two were in a gay relationship!. When I first met you I got a kind of crush on you and dreamt of asking you out, but when you introduced me to Abner...we women can notice this....my dream was over....”

✅

Jojo, 15 minutes before deadline I could not submit my narrative because there was a 300 word limit, so I needed to abridge as follows, 300 words long!

We were celebrating someone’s birthday at the office. As it was getting real late, I invited some colleagues to carry on partying at my flat, which was nearby. When the party was over everybody left but Abner, a university student who was teaching English freelance at my company at that time. As he didn’t have a car I offered to give him a ride home, so I asked him for his address. It was so far...and so late... and we had been drinking so much....that I finally invited him to stay overnight. I can’t exactly remember now how it happened, but he settled permanently in my apartament.

Abner was the ideal friend to me. He was very charming and polite, funny and confident, and we shared the same hobbies: we were very keen on History and Politics, we loved to go out on weekends to visit ancient ruins, old mining towns, colonial villages or natural springs. We often went to the football games, we liked the same music and never missed any rock gig in town. He was going out with a cute classmate and they made a beautiful couple, while I was dating some girls to pass the time.

Coming back sooner than scheduled from a business trip, I discovered to my astonishment that Abner was leading a perverted double life every time I was away. Once I found evidence of his bizarre behaviour, I gathered the courage to ask him to leave. God knows it hurt me more than it hurt him! I was amazed at how angrily he reacted, scowling at me, denying all facts and calling my girl friend a liar. He packed and slammed the door so violently that I was afraid for a long time of being stabbed by him while opening the door.
Intruder
Intruder

Mensaje por Intruder Miér 19 Ene 2022 - 19:09

And here are some feedback comments and corrections from teacher...

TOOL for Learning: Materiales aprendizaje inglés - Página 3 Decept10

I've got A grade! Million thanks jojo, you're the Queen!
Intruder
Intruder

Página 3 de 3. Precedente  1, 2, 3