Darko
McLovin
Holy Roller
Jincho
55 participantes

Página 2 de 7. Precedente  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Siguiente

Failure - Página 2 Empty Re: Failure

Mensaje por atila Dom 5 Jul 2015 - 12:20

PERO QUE PUTA PASADA DE DISCO. ¡ENORRRMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Lo tiene todo.
atila
atila

Mensaje por georgino Dom 5 Jul 2015 - 12:25

no me habré ligado yo chavalas con este temón Basketball

georgino
georgino

Mensaje por CrackerSoul Dom 5 Jul 2015 - 13:48

georgino escribió:no me habré ligado yo chavalas con este temón Basketball

Temazo y enorme vídeo. Me quedé con la duda de saber quién era esta chica:

Failure - Página 2 28s358h
CrackerSoul
CrackerSoul

http://foroazkenatrap.foroactivo.com/

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Miér 8 Jul 2015 - 23:09

Las 8 Bandas más infravaloradas de los 90's. Me faltan entre otros eleven, pero aparecen los fántasticos Wool y en el número 1,
como no podia ser de otra manera Failure!!

http://itcher.com/mag/underrated-90s-alternative-bands/

Originally known as “College Rock”, alternative is simply a blanket term for rock that goes for emotion and mood over virtuoso technique, offering music that can be heavy, but with a sensitivity lacking in metal, or offer pop melodies embellished by intense noise.

But while bands like Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins sold millions of albums, other great alt-rock bands unfairly slipped through the cracks. Let’s take a look at the eight most underrated 90’s alternative bands that are worthy of a modern reappraisal and a bigger fan base.
8. Sponge

Essential Tracks: ‘Pennywheeels’, ‘Plowed’, ‘Wax Ecstatic’, ‘Molly’, ‘Drownin’, ‘Velveteen’, ‘1000 Miles’, ‘Rainin’

Essential Albums: ‘Rotten Piñata’, ‘Wax Ecstatic’

These Detroit rockers crafted a unique mix of grunge, glam, new wave and the blues, but despite hits like power ballad ‘Molly’ and the slamming ‘Wax Ecstatic’, they never achieved major success.

As of 2015: The band still tour regularly with vocalist and sole original member Vinnie Dombrowski, with the occasional new release.

Sponge have one of the most fitting names in rock, with a sound that absorbs the best parts of alternative and classic rock yet make songs unmistakably their own.

7. Local H

Essential Tracks: ‘Bound for the Floor’, ‘Eddie Vedder’, ‘All the Kids Are Right’, ‘Hands on the Bible’, ‘Half-Life’, ‘(Baby Wants to) Tame Me’

Essential Albums: ‘As Good as Dead’, ‘Pack up the Cats’, ‘Here Comes the Zoo’

Long before power duos like The White Stripes and The Black Keys were fashionable, Local H was cranking out great tuneful alt-rock in the 90’s.

Frontman Scott Lewis pulls triple duties on vocals, guitar and bass (thanks to his modified guitar), augmented only by slamming drums. Local H only had one bonafide hit ‘Bound for the Floor’, but their cult fanbase knows better. Theirs is a rich discography worth discovering.

As of 2015: Still bravely plugging away with a new drummer and 2015 album ‘Hey Killer’.

Local H may be a duo but they have enough rock wattage to sound like an act twice their size, with sonic hooks that still sound fresh.

6. Curve

Essential tracks: ‘Faît Accompli’, ‘Superblaster’, ‘Chinese Burn’, ‘Blindfold’, ‘Horror Head’

Essential albums: ‘Doppelganger’, ‘Cuckoo’, ‘Come Clean’

One can make the argument that Garbage wouldn’t exist without Curve’s influence. The British duo merged shoegaze guitars with dance beats and featured the soothing, siren song vocals of Toni Halliday.

While the band debuted to acclaim, internal band pressures caused the group to implode on multiple occasions, effectively short circuiting their career path. But one listen to songs like ‘Faît Accompli’ or ‘Chinese Burn’ shows a band deserving of a better legacy.

As of 2015: after a brief reunion in 2004 they look to be defunct permanently. A shame.

An ideal mix of groove and noise, Curve’s sexy, sinister sound still sounds quite contemporary.

5. Wool

Essential tracks: ‘Slightly Under’, ‘Medication’, ‘Kill the Crow’, ‘SOS’, ‘Superman Is Dead’.

Essential Albums: ‘Budspawn’, ‘Box Set’

These D.C. rockers had all the ingredients for success: a sound that was heavy yet melodic, intense live shows, and high profile fans including Dave Grohl, and The Toadies.

So what happened? Truly one of music’s great mysteries, it looks like the lack of label support was the culprit. But tracks like ‘Medication’ and ‘Slightly Under’ are just as anthemic as anything in Nirvana’s catalogue.

As of 2015: the band folded in 1996. Singer Pete Stahl is now a stage manager for bands, including Grohl’s The Foo Fighters.

One listen to Wool and you too will wonder why they weren’t one of the world’s biggest bands. They’re that good.

4. The Afghan Whigs

Essential Tracks: ‘Gentlemen’, ‘Fountain and Fairfax’, ‘Debonair’, ‘What Jail Is Like’, ‘Blame, Etc.’, ‘Going to Town’, ‘Matamoros’, ‘The Lottery’

Essential Albums: ‘Congregation’, ‘Gentlemen’, ‘Black Love’, ‘Do to the Beast’

This Cincinnati, Ohio quartet combined postpunk guitars with 70’s soul, making for a sound rich with film noir atmosphere and sultry grooves, all while whiskey soaked Vocalist Greg Dulli’s lyrics paints vivid pictures of insatiable lust and dangerous excess.

Sadly, their genre-bending sound went over the heads of those looking for the next Nirvana or Pearl Jam.

As of 2015: Still going strong thanks to 2014’s ‘Do to the Beast’, one of the best comeback albums in recent memory.

Equal parts funky, dark and cinematic, The Afghan Whigs are one of rocks best kept dirty secrets.

3. Slowdive

Essential Tracks: ‘Spanish Air’, ‘Catch the Breeze’, ‘Ballad of Sister Sue’, ‘The Sadman’, ‘Machine Gun’, ‘Here She Comes, Dagger’, ‘Blue Skied an’ Clear’, ‘Visions of La’

Essential Albums: ‘Just for a Day’, ‘Pygmalion’, ‘Souvlaki’

A shoegaze band that never got the acclaim of peers like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive ironically had a more accessible, tuneful take on the sub-genre. But despite their exquisite attention to detail and song craft on albums like ‘Just for a Day’ and ‘Pygmalion’, they were met with negative reviews and a middling fan base.

As of 2015: After breaking up in 1995, they reformed in 2014, and finally appear to be getting overdue attention after giving listeners and critics years to reassess their impressive back catalogue. A new album is also in the works.

Ethereal and haunting, Slowdive make music ideal for romantic evenings and private chill-out time.

2. Chainsaw Kittens

Essential Tracks: ‘Heartcatchthump’, ‘Connie I’ve Found the Door’, ‘High in High School’, ‘Loneliest China Place’, ‘Sore on the Floor’, ‘Pop Heiress Dies’, ‘We’re Like’, ‘Soldier on My Shoulder’

Essential Albums: ‘Flipped out in Singapore’, ‘Pop Heiress’, ‘Chainsaw Kittens’

This band had all the ingredients for 90’s success: catchy songs and disciples like Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins. Fame seemed guaranteed with their Butch Vig produced album ‘Flipped out in Singapore’. Yet their magic mix of power pop, post-punk and new romanticism was relegated to cult status.

As of 2015: made a brief reunion in 2008, but have been dormant ever since. Maybe one day they’ll get the belated acclaim they deserve.

If the idea of Cheap Trick meets The Cure is your idea of musical heaven, Chainsaw Kittens are your new favorite band.

1. Failure

Essential Tracks: ‘Saturday Savior’, ‘Stuck on You’, ‘The Nurse Who Loved Me’, ‘Hot Traveler’, ‘Another Space Song ‘, ‘Mulholland Drive’

Essential Albums: ‘Magnified’, ‘Fantastic Planet’, ‘The Heart Is a Monster’

Lauded by artists like Tool, these L.A. space rockers forged a dense sound blending processed guitars and electronic textures. Their knotty, complex, yet always-tuneful arrangements went over the average music listener’s heads, but they won a small, fervent fan base thanks to their groundbreaking 1996 album ‘Fantastic Planet’.

As of 2015: reunited in 2014, the band is set to release their comeback album ‘The Heart Is a Monster’. Now is the perfect time to dive into their sound.

Ignored by the masses, but influential to many musicians, Failure’s expansive alt-rock bombast makes them more deserving of success than their unfortunate moniker suggests.

“Stuck on You ‘Til the End of Time, I’m Too Tired to Fight Your Rhyme”-(From Failure’s ‘Stuck on You’)

So that concludes my list of the most underrated alternative bands of the 90’s. I highly recommend starting off with Failure’s ‘Fantastic Planet ‘album. It’s one of the best-produced albums of all time.

So what 90’s alt-rock bands do you deem underappreciated and forgotten?
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por colorista Miér 8 Jul 2015 - 23:14

Ah coño, de primeras pensaba que te lo habías currado tú!! Listaca.
colorista
colorista

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Miér 8 Jul 2015 - 23:18

colorista escribió:Ah coño, de primeras pensaba que te lo habías currado tú!! Listaca.

Va a ser que no!! Y encima en ingles.... jaja. Buena lista. Hay tres que no conozco, pero bueno si aparecen Wool y Failure la lista mola!!
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por colorista Miér 8 Jul 2015 - 23:33

Estuve a un tris de poner la portada del Fantastic Planet en el encarte de 240 carátulas de mi libro y finalmente no recuerdo porqué no la puse... Me arrepiento...
colorista
colorista

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Jue 9 Jul 2015 - 0:09

colorista escribió:Estuve a un tris de poner la portada del Fantastic Planet en el encarte de 240 carátulas de mi libro y finalmente no recuerdo porqué no la puse... Me arrepiento...

Hubiese molao! Así como pequeño homenaje
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por pinkpanther Mar 14 Jul 2015 - 20:31

Gracias por descubrirme el disco, estoy disfrutando con el un montón y eso con dos escuchas.

De momento estoy enganchadísimo a Counterfeit Sky, uno de los temas del año para mi.

pinkpanther
pinkpanther

Mensaje por atila Sáb 25 Jul 2015 - 16:20

En la parra es donde está la gente que no ha descubierto este disco aún. ¡Qué enormidad!
atila
atila

Mensaje por hcsickness Sáb 25 Jul 2015 - 16:29

La triada Counterfeit Sky, Petting the Carpet y Mulholand Drive así del tirón es para pajas mil.
Mira que de las que menos chiste me hace es el single, supongo que lo han sacado porque tiene rollo QOTSA y eso tira.
hcsickness
hcsickness

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 27 Jul 2015 - 16:15

pinkpanther escribió:Gracias por descubrirme el disco, estoy disfrutando con el un montón y eso con dos escuchas.

De momento estoy enganchadísimo a Counterfeit Sky, uno de los temas del año para mi.

Uno de los mejores temas. Me flipa toda pero sobre todo ese estribillo!!
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 27 Jul 2015 - 16:21

atila escribió:En la parra es donde está la gente que no ha descubierto este disco aún. ¡Qué enormidad!

El disco es tan buenisimo que parece sacado de otra decada. La gente no se entera o no se quiere enterar... ahí dale que te pego con la matraca nueva de los Darkness, royal thunder, Ghost y otras movidas. Cuando muchos se esten perdiendo el que seguramente sería su disco del año. ( a otros este rollo no les irá claro esta)
A mi me flipa el disco, es personal, original, ambicioso, tiene un toque retro pero a la vez actual, es oscuro, meláncolico, agresivo, y sobre todo tiene temazos que parecen sacados de otra era, un clásico desde ya vamos.
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Rockenberg Lun 27 Jul 2015 - 16:42

coño, ya ha salido el nuevo? los 2 primeros me flipan...
Rockenberg
Rockenberg

http://rockenberg.wordpress.com/

Mensaje por deniztek Lun 27 Jul 2015 - 19:16

A.M. Amnesia temón.

deniztek

Mensaje por pinkpanther Lun 27 Jul 2015 - 21:42

Black Flamingo escribió:
atila escribió:En la parra es donde está la gente que no ha descubierto este disco aún. ¡Qué enormidad!

El disco es tan buenisimo que parece sacado de otra decada. La gente no se entera o no se quiere enterar... ahí dale que te pego con la matraca nueva de los Darkness, royal thunder,  Ghost y otras movidas. Cuando muchos se esten perdiendo el que seguramente sería su disco del año. ( a otros este rollo no les irá claro esta)
A mi me flipa el disco, es personal, original, ambicioso, tiene un toque retro pero a la vez actual, es oscuro, meláncolico, agresivo, y sobre todo tiene temazos que parecen sacados de otra era, un clásico desde ya vamos.

Que bien lo describes, si señor.
pinkpanther
pinkpanther

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Dom 9 Ago 2015 - 22:06

pinkpanther escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:

El disco es tan buenisimo que parece sacado de otra decada. La gente no se entera o no se quiere enterar... ahí dale que te pego con la matraca nueva de los Darkness, royal thunder,  Ghost y otras movidas. Cuando muchos se esten perdiendo el que seguramente sería su disco del año. ( a otros este rollo no les irá claro esta)

Uno de los discos del año y solo tienen dos votos los pobres. Uno mío, un diez por supuesto!!
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por tricko Lun 10 Ago 2015 - 1:13

No los conocía...veremos
tricko
tricko

Mensaje por pinkpanther Lun 10 Ago 2015 - 10:32

pompitas escribió:No los conocía...veremos

Te tienen que gustar.
pinkpanther
pinkpanther

Mensaje por Schuldiner Lun 10 Ago 2015 - 11:17

Black Flamingo escribió:
pinkpanther escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:

Uno de los discos del año y solo tienen dos votos los pobres. Uno mío, un diez por supuesto!!

Yo no se que es eso de votar, pero si es para votar este disco cuenten con el mio. para mi es disco del año, salvo sorpresa

Schuldiner
Schuldiner

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Mar 11 Ago 2015 - 13:46

Schuldiner escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:
pinkpanther escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:

Yo no se que es eso de votar, pero si es para votar este disco cuenten con el mio. para mi es disco del año, salvo sorpresa

Aquí se vota tío, en la primera página sale explicado:
https://www.foroazkenarock.com/t50571-la-liga-azkenera-2015-goatsnake-black-age-blues-disco-de-la-semana
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Hank Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 12:21

Black Flamingo escribió:
pinkpanther escribió:Gracias por descubrirme el disco, estoy disfrutando con el un montón y eso con dos escuchas.

Uno de los mejores temas. Me flipa  toda pero sobre todo ese estribillo!!

creo que me los recomendaste en otro tópic, ahora no sé en cual, .... este tema me parece demasiado 'popero', dudo que me guste el disco, ..... poca garra, ... Smile
Hank
Hank

Mensaje por Bokor Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 15:04

Qué maravilla de disco, ojalá todos los "retornos" fueran así. Voy a ponerme el de FNM, no lo escucho desde mayo... whistling2
Bokor
Bokor

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 15:46

Hank escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:

creo que me los recomendaste en otro tópic, ahora no sé en cual, .... este tema me parece demasiado 'popero', dudo que me guste el disco, ..... poca garra, ... Smile

Este tema tiene unas estrofas y sobre todo un estribillo acojonante. Es solo una muestra de lo que hacen, el disco es tan grandioso que son 18 temas en los que se mueven por diferentes registros sin perder nunca la personalidad, una obra excelsa qu hay que degustar con paciencia descubriendo sus mil matices con cada escucha. El mejor disco del año.
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 15:48

Bokor escribió:Qué maravilla de disco, ojalá todos los "retornos" fueran así. Voy a ponerme el de FNM, no lo escucho desde mayo... whistling2

Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2 Arrow2

Nadie ha vuelto con nada así, ni aic, ni soundgarden , ni afghan whigs, jane´s adddiction....joder es que lo han retomao donde lo dejaron hace 20 años y parece que la inspiración sigua intacta
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Schuldiner Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 15:52

Es que es... Con diferencia... El mejor comeback de rock alternativo de todos los tiempos
Schuldiner
Schuldiner

Mensaje por Bokor Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 15:58

Black Flamingo escribió:Nadie ha vuelto con nada así, ni aic, ni soundgarden , ni afghan whigs, jane´s adddiction....joder es que lo han retomao donde lo dejaron hace 20 años y parece que la inspiración sigua intacta

Solo puedo parangonarlo al "Lillie" de St. Vitus. Brutal.
Bokor
Bokor

Mensaje por Hank Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:07

Black Flamingo escribió:
Hank escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:

Este tema tiene unas estrofas y sobre todo un estribillo acojonante. Es solo una muestra de lo que hacen, el disco es tan grandioso que son 18 temas en los que se mueven por diferentes registros sin perder nunca la personalidad, una obra excelsa qu hay que degustar con paciencia descubriendo sus mil matices con cada escucha. El mejor disco del año.

no lo dudo, pero este tema no me ha sonado a nada, .... anodino sin más, ..... sé que el problema es mío, pero no me ha sonado a nada que no haya escuchado mil veces, ..... Smile
Hank
Hank

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:27

Hank escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:
Hank escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:

no lo dudo, pero este tema no me ha sonado a nada, .... anodino sin más, ..... sé que el problema es mío, pero no me ha sonado a nada que no haya escuchado mil veces, ..... Smile

Mil veces lo has escuchado, en que grupos Hank? En grupos que copian a Failure supongo. Estos son los auténticos, los originales, nadie suena como ellos y nadie ha sacado un disco de estas características en muchos años. Una obra grandiosa.
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:28

Que tampoco tiene porque gustar a todos, el sonido y el rollo es el que es. a algunos no les molara una mierda y otros se estan perdiendo una salvajada de disco
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Hank Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:29

Black Flamingo escribió:
Hank escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:
Hank escribió:
Black Flamingo escribió:

Mil veces lo has escuchado,  en que grupos Hank? En grupos que copian a Failure supongo. Estos son los auténticos, los originales, nadie suena como ellos y nadie ha sacado un disco de estas características en muchos años. Una obra grandiosa.

será en otras bandas, que desde luego suenan mucho más inspiradoras, ... no sé, este tema no me ha dicho absolutamente nada, .. pero lo dicho, el fallo es mío, .... Smile
Hank
Hank

Mensaje por Hank Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:31

Black Flamingo escribió:Que tampoco tiene porque gustar a todos, el sonido y el rollo es el que es. a algunos no les molara una mierda y otros se estan perdiendo una salvajada de disco

cierto, así es en esto de la música, .... Smile
Hank
Hank

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:31

Vuelvo a poner el enlace por si quedaban dudas:

Músicos de diferentes bandas hablan de la importancia de Failure como banda influyente, única e inimitable. Failure, solo para paladares exquisitos.

http://music.mxdwn.com/2015/06/29/features/the-importance-of-failure-members-of-a-perfect-circle-faith-no-more-speedy-ortiz-and-more-sound-off-on-the-influential-band/

Bands reunite and break up all the time. It’s rare that a band reunion actually feels like something profound is happening. One such case is the recent reunion of Los Angeles band Failure. After merely a trio of stellar albums, the band broke up and splintered apart. Each member went on to a slew of other projects (some even in production) before ultimately reuniting in late 2013. Now, if you follow mxdwn, we have covered this reunion closely from the very first moment it was announced. We live for music, but in truth, our favorite moments are always the ones that are rarer and more special. Like a seldom-seen species that can only be found in remote environments, sometimes the hunt for it makes everything worthwhile. Not to slander the banality of everyday media, but a handful of pure and brilliant bands are what make music journalism an amazing profession. So, it should be no surprise that Failure’s reunion was the perfect reemergence of this kind. Like if the dodo came back to life to say, “Hi.” You likely have seen our coverage of their reunion, Cinquanta show with Maynard James Keenan, SXSW performances and the upcoming June 30th release of their first album in nearly twenty years, The Heart is a Monster. A while back it occurred to us that it might be fun to take a good look at the band’s vast influence through the words of those that they have impacted most; bands and artists from around the music industry. We knew we would find some great things out, but what was most impressive was how every member of Failure (Ken Andrews, Greg Edwards and Kellii Scott) have all greatly effected so many bands we know and love. In their own words, here is what a slew of artists have to say about one of the most influential bands from the 90’s, Failure.

Cinquanta_MW_100514_0306

Billy Howerdel – A Perfect Circle

Failure has an uncanny ability to straddle the line between esoteric sonic artistry and velvet, sweet ear candy.

Faith No More Wiltern 2015 RF-369

Bill Gould – Faith No More

I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the band Failure. In particular was their fine use of layered guitars and chords. Thick and cascading while remaining very musical.

Zach Gehring

Zach Gehring – Mae

Mae’s second record The Everglow was produced by Ken Andrews. So not only was Failure’s music an indirect influence on Mae, but Ken’s songwriting and production sensibilities had a direct influence on what I think is Mae’s most successful record. It was an unforgettable experience working with Ken Andrews and we’ll always remember it fondly.

My favorite Failure song is “Smoking Umbrellas” from Fantastic Planet. It’s such a heavy song with a great chorus. I flip out every time I listen to it. I absolutely love it.

pelican

Larry Herweg – Pelican

I first heard Failure back in 1996. My buddy knew I was obsessed with Quicksand and was like, “Man you have to check this band out! They’re like Quicksand, but way more drugged out and involved.” I think the first song he played me was “Daylight,” which did kinda sound like Quicksand, slowed way the hell down. So Fantastic Planet was my introduction to the band. Over the years it has become possibly my favorite album of all time. It has only gotten better with age. I play it more now than I did then. I still find new things to discover and like about it. The production and songs were so ahead of their time. They have the perfect balance of heaviness and melody. Kellii Scott’s drumming continues to inspire and influence me. I warm up to a few of the songs on the record like “Smoking Umbrellas,” “Another Space Song,” “Heliotropic” and “Stuck on You” (possibly my favorite song of all time). I am beyond stoked that they are a band again and putting out a new album! Kellii… send me a copy!

kemble-walters-aeges

Kemble Walters – ÆGES

Failure has had a rather large impact on ÆGES, more specifically in its beginning stages. When the band was first starting out, we weren’t sure exactly which direction we wanted to go in. We all knew we wanted to be heavy (but not hardcore), we wanted to be dissonant (but not art-rock), and we wanted big vocal hooks (but not be a pop rock band). We all pulled our favorite albums and influences together and amongst the other few, Failure was a common denominator. That being said, we didn’t look to Failure as “We need to sound like THIS,” but more so a guide ’til we figured out exactly what the ÆGES sound was. So I suppose thanks are in order? Thank you Failure for being a “guiding light.”

A small bit of trivia for everyone out there in the world. Kellii Scott and I go back quite a bit actually. It’s rather unfortunate to say this, but we were playing in a band together around 2009-ish before I actually dug into the Failure catalog. His creativity and power behind the kit is second to none. One thing is for certain, Kellii’s awesome grooves definitely help define the uniqueness that is the Failure sound.

denver-dalley

Denver Dalley – Desaparecidos/The Statistics/Broken Bats

Failure has always been ahead of their time especially sonically, in my opinion. Their songs are still relevant and sound current to me, the same way that the Pixies’ do. I personally sought out a whammy pedal because of Failure and that lead to a whole different approach to guitar and guitar sounds for me. Their sound has definitely been a major influence on my guitar playing–particularly in my guitar pedal selection.

I think that (obviously) “Stuck On You” was the first, major direct influence, but “Another Space Song” is my all time favorite song, from each and every sound they played, to the lyrics, to the production. Just a perfect song in my book. I used to cover it with my solo project, Statistics, because I just love it and loved playing it so much. I thought it was perfect and so it didn’t need me to elaborate or reinterpret it. I just wanted to play it live! Eventually I recorded it because our label requested it, but it really was almost like a karaoke version. We played it the same way they did and it sounded very similar because they had been such a major influence on us all as we were learning our instruments and buying our gear. Proud copycat, I suppose.

stephen-brodsky

Stephen Brodsky – Cave In/Mutoid Man

What really strikes me about Failure is the adventurous nature with chord changes, and the way they tie it together with killer vocal melodies. The chorus in “Moth” is a great example – fairly obtuse on its own, but the vocal reigns it in (“No one’s ever gonna find out/from this shut mouth”). Nirvana kind of does that with “Drain You” and maybe “Lithium,” but I feel that Failure takes it a step further in terms of creating suspense. This was huge for me as a young teenager with a guitar–it made me wanna push the boundaries of what writing “catchy” music could possibly entail.

I think I read about Comfort in a skate magazine, then found a used copy of the album during one of my cassette-buying adventures in Boston–this was in the early-to-mid 90’s when I was still living in the suburbs. Honestly, I didn’t really dig the record, and only months later picked up Magnified merely by chance, which I immediately loved. More interesting though is the first time that Cave In hung out with Ken Andrews: he was actually one of the potential producers we had in mind for the Antenna album. One day, Ken was supposed to meet us at Cole Rehearsal to discuss possibly working together. We thought it’d be funny to have our gear set up so that once he entered the room, we’d toss him a mic in hopes of getting a surprise jam sesh going. So in comes Ken, and almost immediately we push a mic in front of him and say something to the effect of, “Hey Ken, you’re late for practice man!” then bust into our version of “Magnified.” But instead of grabbing the mic like we had hoped, Ken proceeds to plug his fingers deep into his ears. Well, we kept playing until the end of the song–then he goes “Man, you guys are fucking LOUD!” Fast forward a couple years to another scene on the Lollapalooza tour with Queens Of The Stone Age (Troy from Failure) and Campfire Girls (Kellii from Failure), when we managed to get 2 members of Failure onstage with us to play “Magnified.” Thankfully that was way less awkward.

Justin Meldal-Johnsen Live on Stage with Beck in 2006

Justin Meldal-Johnsen – Bassist Beck, Nine Inch Nails/Producer M83, Paramore, School of Seven Bells

There was a time, during the genesis of bands like Failure, where art rock and heavy music collided. In LA in the late 80’s, there was Jane’s Addiction and its numerous spawn, and that became the thing for several years. Then I suppose grunge hit in around ’90, and the result was that a vast number of imitators emerged. Many of these imitators revealed themselves as thinly disguised updates of the metal bands that they used to be just a few years prior (albeit with different names), with the uniform becoming flannel and jeans in lieu of leather and latex. Others were authentic, but were quickly found to be pale imitations of the great bands of the time (most of whom emerged from the Pacific Northwest and definitely not So Cal). Suffice to say, there was precious little art rock mixed in with the post-metal… Not since Jane’s Addiction, anyway. So I found myself averse to this new “heavy music” trend, as I was mostly a disciple of all things Matador, Factory and 4AD at the time. But then, there were a few bands in the shadows who were another thing altogether. And one of them soon proved to be greater than all the rest.

I first met Greg, Ken, and their first drummer Robert Gauss in 1990 when the Failure guys and my band at the time were neighbors at an old downtown building where bands rehearsed. Our two bands became instant friends and started doing shows together around LA. Failure, however, had a different recipe than any other bands around at the time. By working within the milieu of both heavy and arty with a very particular and fresh spin, they started arresting people’s attention. I was an immediate fan of their first two seven inches and found them totally captivating. The tools of their trade were very interesting: buried, gauzy vocals, fretless bass, caustic, angular guitar and pummeling, tribal drums. The artwork was likewise just as intriguing: simultaneously disturbing and alluring. Consciously or otherwise, they conveyed a perfect blend of mystery and menace that I’m sure most Failure fans also picked up on. For me personally, they helped remove the personal stigma that “heavy” music had, and opened the door to a new type of creating. They were somehow melding the influences of some surprising bedfellows: The Beatles, Talk Talk, Japan, The Pixies, Big Black, Jesus Lizard, and even Nirvana. It was peculiar, special and electrifying.

A personal relationship between myself and Ken in particular began at that point and continues to this day. We’ve enjoyed working together on all manner of things, projects like Blinker The Star, Beck, Nine Inch Nails, M83 and other stuff. I also ended up co-producing Ken’s solo album several years back, and we also formed Digital Noise Academy together with our other friends.

Speedy-Ortiz-SXSW-2015-2

Sadie Dupuis, Mike Falcone, Darl Ferm, Devin McKnight – Speedy Ortiz

Us kiddos in Speedy Ortiz have been listening to (and covering) songs by Failure since we were, well, younger kiddos. And their songwriting—spacey verses, pounding choruses, alien interludes have left an impression on most of the bands we’ve played in. An abiding, cultish love for Failure inspired us when we recorded Speedy Ortiz’s first EP. A few years later, we got to open for them in Texas. We hung ten and nerded out to each other about our histories in Failure fandom—which is basically what we talk about every time we’re in a tour van, anyway.

Mike Falcone: How did I first hear Failure? Oh man. I saw an episode of 120 Minutes on MTV and I taped it. Deftones were hosting and they played a lot of videos they liked, like Depeche Mode and stuff. Then they played Failure’s “Stuck On You,” and it was the first time I’d heard that song. Then my friends wanted to start a band to cover it, and they were called Bernie, named after the Failure song “Bernie” ‘cuz they really liked Failure a lot. That was how I found out about Failure.

Sadie Dupuis: My story’s not that cool. I had that A Perfect Circle record on which they covered “The Nurse Who Loved Me.” I was like, “Damn, this song’s a lot cooler than the other songs.” Then I realized it was a cover. So I bought all the Failure CDs, ‘cuz I was all about CDs in high school. I covered that song a bunch in high school. Not too much longer after that the first Autolux album came out and I was pretty into Autolux, and only realized later it was Greg from Failure.

Mike: See, I was so obsessed with Failure I knew about that Autolux three song EP with “Sugarless” right when it came out. I got immersed in everything Failure.

Devin McKnight: You showed me Failure and I didn’t like it.

Sadie: Who showed you Failure?

Devin: You did!

Sadie: Me?! Really?!

Devin: Yeah! It was, like, a long time ago. Then Alex Molini [of The Dirty Dishes] showed it to me whilst… uh… on some drugs. But he showed me Magnified and not Fantastic Planet. But I came around later to the other stuff. But I think Magnified is the best of both worlds with them. They got some dark stuff in the beginning. Then they got real serious in the studio. Magnified has a little bit of both.

Darl Ferm: It’s like when worlds collide. Magnified was the first album I heard by Failure and it was the only one I heard for years. So it’s got a special place in my heart. I also like the tones a lot. It’s like my favorite bass tone on anything.

Sadie: I guess I’m gonna pick the Nevermind of Failure albums and say Fantastic Planet is my favorite. I think it was a pretty huge influence on me in terms of the songwriting, and I loved the segues. Both in Speedy and in my old band Quilty–who definitely were influenced by Failure–like, half our songs we just intentionally tried to rip off “Saturday Savior.” That’s the album that the sequencing and the whole presentation of it are just like… perfect. Also, we have that sentimental story about Fantastic Planet.

Mike: Yeah! I was wondering if you’d bring this up.

Sadie: Our first weekend as a band playing shows out of town we stayed at the studio of some friends in Philly, called The Sex Dungeon. And I guess we stayed up really late drinking beer–Darl had to go to a film class the next day.

Darl: At 8 am.

Sadie: We were there with our friends in Two Inch Astronaut. The dudes who run the studio, Dan and James, were like, “We could project the movie Fantastic Planet and listen to the album Fantastic Planet at the same time.” We were all like, “No way!” We did it. It was perfect. Wasn’t even fucked up on drugs. It was so cool. The next day we decided, “We have to go record an album with those guys.”

Mike: It was like 4 am. James was like, “Have you ever watched Fantastic Planet while LISTENING to Fantastic Planet?”

Darl: My perspective was, “I should sleep a couple hours before I drive us all for hours.” So all I remember is hearing that album blasting from the control room while sleeping in negative degree weather on the floor of the studio. I was shivering, like, “What the fuck is going on in there?”

Mike: I agree that’s my favorite album they’ve done. Or that any of those guys have ever worked on. Including Autolux and Lusk and all of ‘em. My favorite song switches a lot but I think it’s “Smoking Umbrellas” at the moment.

Sadie: You’ve covered that, too, haven’t you?

Mike: No, we did “Sergeant Politeness.” We also did “Your Sister Says John” which I forgot was actually a Blinker the Star cover Ken Andrews did.

Sadie: My fave was “Another Space Song.” It was definitely my AOL Profile lyrics for a while.

Mike: There’s a trick on “Smoking Umbrellas” where if you pan it to one side you don’t hear the intro.

Sadie: Such good panning on that album. I feel like maybe it’s less obvious in Speedy Ortiz, but there are certain things I try to copy that are panning, or guitar lines, or like in Quilty I played in open C and tried to sound like Failure. Or, that little introduction part we have on the Speedy song “Mark VI” is supposed to sound like one of the Failure segues.

Sadie: We all got to play with Failure recently and I feel like it’s the first time that we’ve all been, like, watching a band and singing along to every single word.

Mike: All four of us all at once? Definitely.

Darl: We almost missed our flight to watch them. Also, they weren’t playing with amps!

Sadie: I thought it was nice that we recorded our first EP at a place ‘cuz Fantastic Planet was being played there, and then we got to see them again and play with them. As a band we’re in a pretty different place now than we were three years ago, but we were all so psyched. It was heartwarming.

Mike: I never thought they’d reform, honestly. To have to wait fifteen years, it was like, yes! Finally!

Darl: Also, all their last names are first names too. Boom. Exposed.

Sadie: I think that’s a good place to end.

Failure, Justin Meldal-Johnsen, Bill Gould and Speedy Ortiz photos by Raymond Flotat

Billy Howerdel photo by Marv Watson

Mensaje por Black Flamingo Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:31

Y hasta aquí doy la brasa!!! Laughing
Black Flamingo
Black Flamingo

Mensaje por Bokor Lun 17 Ago 2015 - 16:35

Compro! (a fin de cuentas, escuché a Failure porque leí a foreros poniéndoles por las nubes y ha sido uno de los descubrimientos del año)
Bokor
Bokor

Mensaje por Schuldiner Miér 26 Ago 2015 - 9:07

Schuldiner
Schuldiner

Mensaje por silver Miér 26 Ago 2015 - 9:08

study

silver
silver

Mensaje por Rockenberg Sáb 5 Sep 2015 - 12:48

por fin me he puesto con el nuevo de esta gente, pinta bien. el segundo y tercero me gustan mucho...

Última edición por Rockenberg el Sáb 5 Sep 2015 - 13:59, editado 1 vez
Rockenberg
Rockenberg

Mensaje por pinkpanther Sáb 5 Sep 2015 - 13:55

Cada día que pasa me gusta mas, me lo he pillado en amazon.
pinkpanther
pinkpanther

Mensaje por Rockenberg Jue 17 Sep 2015 - 12:51

el último es buenísimo!
Rockenberg
Rockenberg

Mensaje por crancranc Jue 17 Sep 2015 - 13:54

Lo he preguntado en la liga, pero lo repito aquí.

El último me ha gustado, pero no los piloto. ¿Por dónde sigo?
crancranc
crancranc

Mensaje por caponeslashdot Jue 17 Sep 2015 - 13:57

crancranc escribió:Lo he preguntado en la liga, pero lo repito aquí.

Fantastic Planet
Failure - Página 2 Failure
Wink
caponeslashdot
caponeslashdot

Mensaje por crancranc Jue 17 Sep 2015 - 13:59

caponeslashdot escribió:
crancranc escribió:Lo he preguntado en la liga, pero lo repito aquí.

Fantastic Planet
Failure - Página 2 Failure
Wink

25 añitos tenía. A ver si me retrotrae a esos años tan potitos.

Gracias, míster!
crancranc
crancranc

Mensaje por caponeslashdot Jue 17 Sep 2015 - 14:15

Lo hará, no lo dudo. Es un disco 100% noventero.
caponeslashdot
caponeslashdot

Mensaje por Rockenberg Miér 23 Sep 2015 - 15:29

Joder el último es buenísimo! Para mi su mejor álbum! Totalmente enganchado! cheers cheers
Rockenberg
Rockenberg

Mensaje por colorista Miér 23 Sep 2015 - 15:33

El último no lo he escuchado aún. Me pongo en breves.
colorista
colorista

Mensaje por Unsein16 Jue 24 Sep 2015 - 11:21

Menuda exquisitez.
Unsein16
Unsein16

Mensaje por pinkpanther Jue 24 Sep 2015 - 13:30

Me ha llegado hoy a casa. cheers cheers
pinkpanther
pinkpanther